Rename mailbox in Exchange 2000 or 2003

thorn_gabriel

Jan 30, 2006, 11:00:15 AM1/30/06
Ok, I really cannot believe the lack of information there is for an
action that seems so simple. Is it possible to rename a mailbox in
Exchange (2003 specifically)? For instance, if my user gets married
and wants to change her login and mailbox to her new name.

I have read all of the simple responses to this question that are
currently out there:

-Use AD to rename the domain account- I have done this, first thing I
tried, it doesn't rename the mailbox

-Add an SMTP address for the new account name- Sure, this is a good
method of getting mail, but when the user responds, her old name would
still should up as the account name.

-Recreate the Outlook profile locally- Nope..this doesnt change the
Exchange mailbox name.

There were other suggestions that pointed to local Outlook settings.
This is an Exchange server issue. The Mailbox specifically. There
should be a way to go into System Manager and rename the mailbox, but I
do not see anything like this anywhere.

And of course Microsoft has absolutely nothing on this.

There has got to be a better answer than creating a brand new account
and wiping the old account.

Someone please help renew my faith of google groups!!
Thanks!

Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]

Jan 30, 2006, 2:55:47 PM1/30/06
you may have to wait a while for the change to be propagated (2 hours if
memory serves right), but if you right-click and choose "rename" for an
existing user account, that is the only thing you need to do. When you
rename a user, it also prompts you to change the First and Last Names,
Display Name, and logon information.

Think of ESM as a glorified GUI LDAP client :-) The information that is
displayed under the mailboxes is what Exchange gets from Active Directory.

Keep in mind that renaming a user account does not change the
legacyExchangeDN. Note - you don't want to change this! If you do, you
will break the ability for any other users to respond to old messages from
the user you renamed.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP