RE: Public Folder Nightmare-Exchange 2003 (Long)

Richard Roddy [MSFT]

May 4, 2004, 8:39:38 AM5/4/04
Get the Exchange 2003 post-RTM Store Rollup and apply it. There indeed was
an issue with the IPM.Note hotfix that under certain sets of circumstances
could cause problems with PF Replication.

838236 How to obtain the Exchange Server 2003 post-RTM Store rollup
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=838236

Then the new Public Store you created should also be able to work. If it
doesn't, I recommend deleting it and creating a new one again.

Also, if you applied the Exchange 2000 version of the IPM.Note fix to your
2000 server, please apply the April 2004 post-SP3 Rollup:

836488 April 2004 Exchange 2000 Server post-Service Pack 3 update rollup
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=836488

Thanks,
Richard Roddy
Microsoft Exchange Support

--------------------
>From: =?Utf-8?B?RGFuIFNtaXRo?= <anon...@discussions.microsoft.com>
>Subject: Public Folder Nightmare-Exchange 2003 (Long)
>Date: Sat, 1 May 2004 10:41:02 -0700
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.exchange.admin
>
>I sure hope some one can help with this...

Part one of my issue:

I recently added a new Exchange 2003 server to our Ex2k native eniviroment.
The Public folder hierarchy would not replicate properly until I sent the
hierarchy manually through the ESM. Then, I tried to replicate a folder
from the old Ex2k server. The folder showed up immediately on the 2k3
server in 'Public Folder Instances' but with 0 items and 0kb. No data
would ever replicate; although new items being posted would go there fine.
I built a test lab to try and replicate this behavior. I found that
replication works fine until you apply the KB817809 IPM.Note Hotfix, which
I had done in the production evnviroment prior to attempting to replicate
anything. So my theory is that the 817809 patch breaks replication.

Part two:

I deleted the public folder store on the new 2k3 server thinking I could
just recreate it. I now know that was a bad thing becuase now because
creating a new public folder store has created more replication issues than
I had originally. I have not been able to find out how to recreate the
native public folder store that get created during installation. When I
try to mount a newly cerated public folder store associate with the 'Public
Folders' tree and mount it, I get this:

EventID: 3079
Source: MSExchangeIS Public Store
Unexpected replication thread error 0xfffff9bd on database "First Storage
Group\test".

EcGetReplMsg
EcGetReplMsg
EcSeek
REPL::EcSaveChanges
REPL::EcReplStateAdd
EcUpdateReplState
EcReplStartup
FReplAgent

So now I need to get an operational public folder store back in place to
even begin to troubleshoot the original replication issues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Dan Smith

an...@y.mous

May 4, 2004, 7:12:02 PM5/4/04
Hmmm .. we didn't apply this particular patch on our Exchange 2000
public folder server, but we are running a version of the store that
is close to that version.

We are also experiencing problems replicating to a newly introduced
Exchange 2003 public folder server. Are you recommending we install
the April rollup for Exchange 2003? Does it fix some publc folder
issues?

Richard Roddy [MSFT]

May 5, 2004, 6:33:51 AM5/5/04
No, for 2003, I'm recommending you install the post-RTM Store rollup -
article 838236.

For 2000, I'm recommending the April 2004 rollup.

Was your Public Store on 2000 ever taken off another server and put on that
2000 server? This is what we call a victim restore and can create all sorts
of problems with replication to new servers...

Thanks,
Richard Roddy
Microsoft Exchange Support

--------------------
>From: an...@y.mous
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.exchange.admin
>Subject: Re: Public Folder Nightmare-Exchange 2003 (Long)
>Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 23:12:02 GMT

an...@y.mous

May 6, 2004, 2:23:29 PM5/6/04
Well, yes .. I meant the Exchange 2003 April, 2004 roll-up for the
Exchange 2003 public folder server that is having the public folder
replication issues. We've scheduled an outage to install that tomorrow
morning. It was already running on another Exchange 2003 public folder
server, but it doesn't have any replicas yet so I can't say whether it
was having a problem the same day or not.

The Exchange 2000 public folder server is running a post-SP3
6.0.6418.0 store.exe. Since we are phasing this server out (in the
process of replicating all folders to the two Exchange 2003 pf
servers), our preference is to leave it be since it has been
relatively well behaved lately. Do you recommend installing the latest
Exchange 2000 roll-up still? That is, does it fix known replication
issues going to E2k3 servers? This server has been replicating with
its E2K peers in other admin groups fairly well.

No, we've not had to do a victim restore on this server. That's not to
say our PF structure isn't a bit funky. First off, we've got about
35,000 public folders and 80 gig of content. Much of this was migrated
from many years of 5.5 operation, but that was complete about 18
months ago. Then there was the little incident about a year ago where
PSS advised one of our colleagues in another admin group to delete the
entire hierarchy and recover it from backups. Other than that, it's
your plain vanilla virgin public folder hierarchy. :-)

Richard Roddy [MSFT]

May 7, 2004, 7:54:55 AM5/7/04
If installing just the 2003 rollup doesn't help, I would suggest 2 things:

1) On the 2003 server, try changing the following registry value to 1 and
then dismount/mount the public store on that server:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MsExchangeIS\<ServerNam
e>\Public-<GUID>\Replication Flags

This should force status request messages to be sent out from the 2003
server to all other servers and the exchange of status messages should
trigger the Exchange Public Folder backfill process to start occurring.
After anywhere from 6-24 hours, there should be a noticeable difference in
what has replicated.

2) Install the April 2004 post-SP3 rollup on Exchange 2000. You can save
this until you've tried #1 and given it some time to chew on replication.

Thanks,
Richard Roddy
Microsoft Exchange Support

>From: an...@y.mous
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.exchange.admin
>Subject: Re: Public Folder Nightmare-Exchange 2003 (Long)

>Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 18:23:29 GMT

ul.t-online.de!t-online.de!newsfeed.wirehub.nl!amsnews01.chello.com!border2.
nntp.ash.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!elnk-atl-nf1!newsfeed.earthlink.net!
cyclone.tampabay.rr.com!news-post.tampabay.rr.com!twister.southeast.rr.com.P
OSTED!53ab2750!not-for-mail