Can I Stop Users Attaching Files

TheScullster

Jun 16, 2006, 10:15:37 AM6/16/06
Hi all

Users are circumventing our documentation control by attaching drawing image
files to emails.
These files are in a folder to which they have only read-only access.
Is it possible to stop users attaching the contents of certain folders or
certain file types to emails?

TIA

Phil

TheScullster

Jun 16, 2006, 10:17:51 AM6/16/06
Sorry, forgot the important stuff in my frustration:

Win2003 Server
Exchange 2003
Outlook 2003 clients
Standard MS client server active directory controlled network

Phil

Susan

Jun 16, 2006, 10:24:32 AM6/16/06
most AV solutions have the ability to block sending/receiving of certain
file types...

--
Susan Conkey [MVP]

"TheScullster" <ph...@dropthespam.com> wrote in message

Jordan

Jun 16, 2006, 10:55:01 AM6/16/06
Take a look at this page. It shows how to unblock exe as a dangerous file
types so you might be able to use things from here to add a .dwg file type
as a dangerous extension and prevent users from being able to attach it.

"TheScullster" <ph...@dropthespam.com> wrote in message

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Jun 16, 2006, 10:33:28 AM6/16/06

In news:yx6cnUJVErO...@karoo.co.uk,
TheScullster <ph...@dropthespam.com> typed:

> Hi all
>
> Users are circumventing our documentation control by attaching
> drawing image files to emails.
> These files are in a folder to which they have only read-only access.

If people can read, they can copy....pretty much no way 'round that. You
might look into DRM, mebbe.

> Is it possible to stop users attaching the contents of certain
> folders or certain file types to emails?

You can strip out certain attachment types using your Exchange-aware
antivirus software, most likely - nothing native will do it. You should also
make sure the software scans for the contents of xip files, and discards
password-protected zip files.