554 Too many header lines without null line separator for message body

R.Scriven

Sep 15, 2004, 6:57:20 AM9/15/04
Hi

Sorry to ask what is probably a really simple question
but we've been scratching our heads over this for a bit.

We've got an issue here whereby email coming into our
Exchange server or going out sometimes comes back with :

" 554 Too many header lines without null line separator
for message body"

I've done some testing and this only seems to occur on
distribution lists where there are more than 49
recipients in the TO field. So far I've been unable to
find a fix for this or hardly even a mention of the error
message on the internet. Couldn't find any settings on
our Exchange server either. We are still using Microsoft
Exchange 5.5

I hope someone could offer some advice on something which
is probably really simple.

Rich Matheisen [MVP]

Sep 19, 2004, 5:18:56 PM9/19/04
"R.Scriven" <anon...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Sorry to ask what is probably a really simple question
>but we've been scratching our heads over this for a bit.
>
>We've got an issue here whereby email coming into our
>Exchange server or going out sometimes comes back with :
>
>" 554 Too many header lines without null line separator
>for message body"
>
>I've done some testing and this only seems to occur on
>distribution lists where there are more than 49
>recipients in the TO field.

Why would the membership of the DL appear in the "To:" header?
Normally you'd just see the DL name.

>So far I've been unable to
>find a fix for this or hardly even a mention of the error
>message on the internet. Couldn't find any settings on
>our Exchange server either. We are still using Microsoft
>Exchange 5.5
>
>I hope someone could offer some advice on something which
>is probably really simple.

Are you sending this message using Outlook installed in
Corporate/Workgroup mode, or in Internet-only mode?

The error sounds like the message is missing the empty line that
should separate the message headers from the message body. My guess s
that you're using Exchange as a relay server from a POP3 or IMAP4
client. That'd make this a client problem.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Doug Blanchard [MSFT]

Oct 11, 2004, 10:14:32 AM10/11/04
1) Does this happen with all DL that are over 49 recipients?
2) Does this happen to a message sent to 50 recipients (but not as a DL)?
3) Are the DL using an expansion server
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;185194)
4) Are any of these recipients external to your domain?
5) If so, check for a firewall or 3rd party product that is control the
number of recipients in the header of the message. Some have limitations.
6) Are you running the latest version of the store, mta, or ims? What
version are you using?

--
Doug Blanchard [MSFT]
Microsoft PSS

purposes only. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
confers no rights.

"R.Scriven" <anon...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

heybuckstr

Feb 8, 2005, 9:29:54 AM2/8/05
Check your firewall. I found a feature in SMTP Proxy that limited the
maximum number of header lines to 50. I use Cyberguard. It is a feature
added after upgrading to version 5.2.