Can't get Exchange 2007 console to run

Peter Lawton

Jan 13, 2008, 6:37:17 AM1/13/08
I'm trying to install the Exchange 2007 management console on our W2003 x64
Terminal Servers

I can install it successfully but when the console runs I get the error:-

MMC could not create the snap-in. The snap-in might not have been installed
correctly.
Name: Exchange Server 2007
CLSID: FX:{76dd58f7-54ba-42e3-a2e0-dbf4b674539f}

I've tried re-installing .NET2 SP1 but I'm still getting the error
I've tried to install Microsoft Management Console 3.0 (KB907265) but it
says "The service pack version of this system is newer than the update"
This is happening on all of our Terminal Servers

Anyone any ideas about how to fix this?

Many thanks

Peter Lawton

jsby...@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2008, 2:46:29 PM2/6/08

WOO F'n HOOO - I found the answer ! ! ! !

I found an mmc.exe.config file that was forcing the version of .net.
Renaming the file fixed my problem.

I spent a long time trying to figure this one out. Some older
application installed the .net 1.1 framework and hosed many of my MMC
snap in's.

I looked in my system32 folder and sure enough there was an
mmc.exe.config file that had the supported runtime section set to
"v1.1.4322". I renamed it to mmc.exe.config.BAK and sure enough
everything started working again.

I even started a tech-support incident with the Indians at Microsoft.
They were telling me to change lots of stuff and never had a clue it
was an MMC issue and not an Exchange issue.