Domain Rename - Server 2008 Domain w/ Exchange 2007

Matt Lowe

Aug 21, 2008, 1:11:34 PM8/21/08
We are currently operating in a Windows Server 2003 domain functional level.
We recently had our Exchange 2003 server crash but we were able to
temporarily rebuild it on another Windows Server 2003 machine while we
purchased a new server on which we installed Windows Server 2008 and
Exchange 2007. The migration to Exchange 2007 was successful but now we are
in a position where we are required to change our domain name.

In my research I discovered we are unable to do this under our current setup
as a domain rename in a 2003 environment with an Exchange 2007 server is
unsupported. I am trying to determine the least painful way to make this
change. I have narrowed it down to these options but please correct me if
there is anything else:

1. Migrate all the mailboxes and public folders back to the Exchange 2003
server. Completely remove the Exchange 2007 server from the environment.
Perform the domain rename. Reinstall Exchange 2007 in the new domain and
perform the migration again.

2. Create the new domain on new DC and do a cross-site migration which
appears to be a problem because we do not have another server available to
us to hold the Exchange 2007 role in the new domain to migrate the mailboxes
into.

3. What I have not been able to find out is if it is possible to upgrade
our network to a Server 2008 domain (which is the ultimate plan anyways) and
do a domain rename with the Exchange 2007 server still in the environment.

Number 3 would seem to be the most ideal option but I cannot find any
confirmation that this is or is not supported.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

-Matt

John Oliver, Jr. [MVP]

Aug 21, 2008, 8:01:31 PM8/21/08
Inline:

--
John Oliver, Jr
MCSE, MCT, CCNA

"Matt Lowe" <ML...@propro.com> wrote in message

> We are currently operating in a Windows Server 2003 domain functional
> level. We recently had our Exchange 2003 server crash but we were able to
> temporarily rebuild it on another Windows Server 2003 machine while we
> purchased a new server on which we installed Windows Server 2008 and
> Exchange 2007. The migration to Exchange 2007 was successful but now we
> are in a position where we are required to change our domain name.
>
> In my research I discovered we are unable to do this under our current
> setup as a domain rename in a 2003 environment with an Exchange 2007
> server is unsupported. I am trying to determine the least painful way to
> make this change. I have narrowed it down to these options but please
> correct me if there is anything else:
>
> 1. Migrate all the mailboxes and public folders back to the Exchange 2003
> server. Completely remove the Exchange 2007 server from the environment.
> Perform the domain rename. Reinstall Exchange 2007 in the new domain and
> perform the migration again.

This the supported way of domain rename. You can be assured you will have
no issues.

> 2. Create the new domain on new DC and do a cross-site migration which
> appears to be a problem because we do not have another server available to
> us to hold the Exchange 2007 role in the new domain to migrate the
> mailboxes into.

You could look at Virtual Machine if you do not have another server.

> 3. What I have not been able to find out is if it is possible to upgrade
> our network to a Server 2008 domain (which is the ultimate plan anyways)
> and do a domain rename with the Exchange 2007 server still in the
> environment.

Rendom is included with Windows Server 2008 and should work once you only
have Exchange 2007. I would test this out in a lab first but I see no
reason for this not to work.