Exchange 2003 importing contacts

NeedHelp

Jun 18, 2004, 11:07:41 AM6/18/04
In Exchange 5.5 I had a container where I had a list of thousands of
contacts imported from an outside agency. I would regularly remove them,
then re-import them as an updated list would arrive.

I'm having trouble determining how to mirror this activity in Exchange 2003.

In 5.5 I had a Recipients container with a sub container called External
List. This container came over from 5.5 and landed in the Users folder in
AD as Recipients with External List under that. External list is full of
contacts.

At a minimum I'd like to delete all of these contacts (easy enough), then
re-import them from a CSV file (not so easy). I'm not seeing how to
re-import them.

Additionally, there is likely a preferred method to handle this situation in
2003.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Eric

Jun 19, 2004, 7:41:01 PM6/19/04
5.5 is significantly different than Exchange 2003 in its ability to import contacts. In short, 5.5 had its own directory where Exchange 2000/2003 use Active Directory. So...you are not importing mail enabled contacts into Exchange per se, but importing them into AD (thereby making them viewable in the Exchange Global Address List). The steps to perform this are well detailed in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base Article:

327620 How to use Csvde to import contacts and user objects into Active Directory
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=327620

I hope this helps.

Eric

NeedHelp

Aug 9, 2004, 4:55:43 PM8/9/04
Helped a little, thanks.

I'm still unclear though.

I've got a csv file containting records that look like this:

Remote,UsersLastName, UsersFirstName UsersInitial,
SMTP:SMTPEmai...@somewhere.com,UsersSimpleName
or
Remote, UsersnameInfo, EmailAddress, UsersSimplename.

It's not clear how csvde could be used to import these, even after massaging
the data in say excel first.

Am I just dense?

"Eric" <Er...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

NeedHelp

Aug 10, 2004, 9:45:46 AM8/10/04
Good article so far. I've gotten pretty close with the following exception:

Some of the objects being imported are in the form "cn=lastname, firstname"

and the "," is interfering. I thought I had found that if I use the syntax

"cn=lastname\, firstname" that it would work, but not true in my case.

Any suggestions welcome.