How to disable prompt for "update link"?

Gregory Suvalian

Apr 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/8/98

I need to turn off Excel feature asking to update links (something like
simulating pressing Cancel when Excel asks about it). I can't do OLE
automation without that because Excel stops at that point.

--
Regards,
Gregory

L. Eric Galvez

Apr 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/8/98

If you haven't already, try inserting this line of code just before the
section of code where the update links is popping up.

Application.DisplayAlerts = False

Regards,
Eric Galvez
ega...@bloomberg.net

Gregory Suvalian <gre...@NOSPAMsecurities.ru> wrote in article
<OvKwu3r...@uppssnewspub04.moswest.msn.net>...

LH

Apr 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/8/98

L. Eric Galvez wrote:

> If you haven't already, try inserting this line of code just before the
> section of code where the update links is popping up.
>
> Application.DisplayAlerts = False

I too need to disable the update link message box. I have tried both
Application.DisplayAlerts=False, and a SendKeys statement in my
Auto_Open proceedure with no results.

Lyle Hannum

Ogilvy, Thomas W., Mr., ODCSLOG

Apr 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/8/98

Sub Macro3()
'
' Macro3 Macro
' Macro recorded 4/8/98 by Thomas W. Ogilvy
' To Disable
'
Workbooks.Open
FileName:="\\LOGS2FILES\OGILVTW\Docs\xls_with_link.xls", _
UpdateLinks:=0
End Sub

Put the command all on the same line or use the continuation character
("_") as above.
Hope this helps.

Tom Ogilvy

PS:
Use UpdateLinks:=3 to enable link updating (but the dialog box doesn't
appear or require interaction)

I don't know what and UpdateLinks= 1 or 2 does.
> ----------
> From: LH[SMTP:lwh7...@glaxowellcome.com]
> Posted At: Wednesday, April 08, 1998 8:48 AM
> Posted To: programming
> Conversation: How to disable prompt for "update link"?
> Subject: Re: How to disable prompt for "update link"?

Laurent Longre

Apr 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/9/98
to Gregory Suvalian

Bonjour,

If you use Excel 97 and want to get definitively rid of this message,
open this Registry entry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\8.0\Excel\
Microsoft Excel\Options5

If the (decimal) value of Options5 is <16384, add 16384 to it (4000 in
hexadecimal).

Now when you run Excel and open any workbook, all links will be
automatically updated without any confirmation dialog-box.

Laurent

Gregory Suvalian

Apr 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/9/98

Where Microsoft hides all that secrets about registry keys?

--
Regards,
Gregory
Remove NOSPAM from e-mail address

Gregory Suvalian

Apr 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/9/98

Does not work for me. Does not ask abotu updating link but immediately bring
window asking for location of update file.

Laurent Longre

Apr 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/9/98
to Gregory Suvalian

It works fine by me (*Excel 97 SR-1*).

Could you try that?

- Create two new workbooks (say c:\temp\test1.xls and c:\temp\test2.xls)
- In Test1.xls, cell Sheet1!A1, enter ='C:\Temp\[Test2.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1
- Put any value in Test2.xls, cell Sheet1!A1
- Quit Excel
- Open the registry and go to :

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\8.0\Excel\Microsoft Excel

- Edit the entry "Options5" and enter this new hexadecimal value : 4481
- Restart Excel
- Open Test1.xls
=> No prompt to update links
- Close Test1.xls and open Test2.xls
- Change the value in Sheet1!A1
- Save Test2.xls, close it and re-open Test1.xls
=> Still no prompt, and the value in Sheet1!A1 is automatically updated.

It works by me and should work by you too if we use the same version (Excel 97 SR-1).

The description of the registry entries is provided by the XL97 Developer's Kit ("SDK"),
Appendix B.
Following the SDK, bit 14 of the Options5 entry = "Ask to update automatic links". In
fact, this bit must be set to 1 if you want to disable the prompt. Binary
100000000000000 = Hex 4000 = Decimal 16384.

Cordialement,
Laurent