excel page numbers

Steve J. Vaughan

Jan 4, 2005, 9:35:01 AM1/4/05
I have been asked to create a spreadsheet with the first three rows repeated
on every page. However in one of the cells in the first three rows there is a
requirement for the page number and number of pages . I know this is normally
set in the page header but the layout requires it in a specfied cell.

Is there away of getting the &[page] and &[pages] data into a cell, and will
it work when printing?

Tom Ogilvy

Jan 4, 2005, 9:48:54 AM1/4/05
rows to repeat at the top in the last tab of the page setup dialog will
accomplish most of what you want.

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to use that and put the information you
want in a cell in that range.

you would either need to create a separate worksheet that lays out the data
exactly as you want it printed with the 3 rows of information physically
repeated in each "page" with the hardcoded page and pages information
entered in the cell. Or you would have to print each page separately using
rows to repeat at the top, but before each page printed, entering the page
and pages information in the cell. In the second case, you would have to
calculate the pages information and you could keep track of the page
information. In the first case, you would of course know this information.

Then again, someone may have a better approach I am not aware of.

--
Regards,
Tom Ogilvy

"Steve J. Vaughan" <SteveJ...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:AB416BA3-575F-4C76...@microsoft.com...

J Vaughan@discussions.microsoft.com Steve J Vaughan

Jan 4, 2005, 9:59:09 AM1/4/05
Thanks Tom, I did think there was not going to be an easy solution. I guess
someone who is clever with VB may find a way, but I guess it is not a
commonly requested function.

Ron de Bruin

Jan 4, 2005, 10:54:29 AM1/4/05
See
http://www.dicks-blog.com/archives/2004/12/22/page-of-pages-in-a-cell/

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Steve J Vaughan" <Steve J Vau...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:04EA4E23-0635-4247...@microsoft.com...

Tom Ogilvy

Jan 4, 2005, 11:29:58 AM1/4/05
As written, this method would only work for data that would be only one page
wide. Also it won't work for the OP's problem if he uses rows to repeat at
the top. the Page part of "page of" will reflect the page number of the
physical location of the formula regardless on what page is being printed.

It would work if the OP did a physical layout, but then he could just hard
code in the page number since it is already known.

While a clever idea, I have a hard time seeing where it would actually have
any application. I assume there are some special cases since Frank said he
is often asked.

--
Regards,
Tom Ogilvy

"Ron de Bruin" <ronde...@kabelfoon.nl> wrote in message

Steve J Vaughan

Jan 4, 2005, 11:39:16 AM1/4/05
Thanks Ron,

That does what I need with the exception that I need to have the cell in one
of the three rows which is then repeated at the top of each page. A little VB
is not a problem as long as it is not too heavy.

Nice solution though.

Ron de Bruin

Jan 4, 2005, 11:42:25 AM1/4/05
Hi Tom

> While a clever idea, I have a hard time seeing where it would actually
> have
> any application.

me to

I only add it to this thread as information.
But this one I use regular

Dim TotPages As Long
TotPages = Application.ExecuteExcel4Macro("GET.DOCUMENT(50)")

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Tom Ogilvy" <twog...@msn.com> wrote in message

Frank Kabel

Jan 4, 2005, 12:15:36 PM1/4/05
Hi Tom
this idea came from Jan Karel :-)
And I agree with you: Thisn is a nice trick (kind of 'just to prove it is
possible') but I wouldn't use it in a real-lifre application. But still neat
trick and it shows that this kind of feature is somewhat missing in Excel's
VBA Object model

--
Regards
Frank Kabel
"Tom Ogilvy" <twog...@msn.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> [...]

Peter T

Jan 4, 2005, 11:21:21 AM1/4/05
Hi Steve,

I'm not sure if you mean "Sheets" or "Pages". If Pages I don't see how these
details only in the top row help unless each sheet prints as one page, but I
may be missing something.

Whatever, maybe the old xl4 functions might be of use to you. Find and
download a copy of "Macrofun.hlp" or "Macrofun.zip" and look in particular
at the GET.DOCUMENT and GET.WORKBOOK functions

To use these in cell formulas they need to be defined as formulas, eg
Defined Name =formula
Total_Sheets =GET.WORKBOOK(4)
TotalPrintPages =GET.DOCUMENT(50)
PrintHeader =GET.DOCUMENT(54)

Then in a cell type "Total_Sheets" without quotes

It might be possible to return current sheet as a number.

Regards,
Peter T

"Steve J. Vaughan" <SteveJ...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:AB416BA3-575F-4C76...@microsoft.com...

Tom Ogilvy

Jan 4, 2005, 1:37:28 PM1/4/05
Oops. I guess you (Frank) were commenting on it and not the author. Sorry.

I guess I was not seeing a need to dynamically determine a page number (I
have never been criticised for having too much imagination, however). It is
useful on a fixed layout that will not change - but if it won't change, then
one knows the page number although it might be convenient to have a formula
do it. If the layout will change, then I don't see the need to have a page
number appear at some unknown location on the page - maybe useful for a
filter situation. It wasn't meant to be a criticism in anyway because as I
said, it is very innovative.

My real purpose in posting was to alert the OP that I didn't think it would
solve his problem and save time he might spend thinking it might. Then
again, it might fit somehow.

--
Regards,
Tom Ogilvy

"Frank Kabel" <frank...@freenet.de> wrote in message

Tom Ogilvy

Jan 4, 2005, 1:47:27 PM1/4/05
I tried to give you a good answer and explain what the constraints are. You
have received a lot of answers, which in my opinion do nothing for you
(unless you change your specifications or I didn't understand the specs).
Your certainly welcome to invest time checking these out and forming your
own opinion.

--
Regards,
Tom Ogilvy

"Steve J Vaughan" <SteveJ...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Frank Kabel

Jan 4, 2005, 2:18:18 PM1/4/05
Hi Tom

> Oops. I guess you (Frank) were commenting on it and not the author.
> Sorry.
no need for beeing sorry. Just didn't want to steal JKP this innovation
<vbg>

> I guess I was not seeing a need to dynamically determine a page number (I
> have never been criticised for having too much imagination, however). It
> is
> useful on a fixed layout that will not change - but if it won't change,
> then
> one knows the page number although it might be convenient to have a
> formula
> do it. If the layout will change, then I don't see the need to have a
> page
> number appear at some unknown location on the page - maybe useful for a
> filter situation. It wasn't meant to be a criticism in anyway because as
> said, it is very innovative.

Also didn't considered your initial posting as criticism!.
Though a little bit OT: I think Excel's current features for customized
headers/footers are just poor. For dynamic headers you need VBA. And if you
want to resort to headers directly on your sheet you have problems getting
the page numbering information.
On the other hand maybe if you have this kind of reporting requirements one
should not use Excel anyway :-)

> My real purpose in posting was to alert the OP that I didn't think it
> would
> solve his problem and save time he might spend thinking it might. Then
> again, it might fit somehow.

And only the OP will know :-)
Maybe he posts back!

Regards
Frank Kabel

Tom Ogilvy

Jan 4, 2005, 2:37:36 PM1/4/05
> And only the OP will know :-)
> Maybe he posts back!

He did

> That does what I need but . . .

>A little VB
>is not a problem as long as it is not too heavy.

Last time I checked, working with pagebreaks in VB is very heavy.

--
Regards,
Tom Ogilvy

"Frank Kabel" <frank...@freenet.de> wrote in message

Frank Kabel

Jan 4, 2005, 3:19:30 PM1/4/05
Hi Tom
yeah, after I pressed the Send button I saw his post :-)
And I agree with you: dealing with pagebreaks in VBA is not easy (so I
usually stay away from that)

--
Regards
Frank Kabel
Frankfurt, Germany
"Tom Ogilvy" <twog...@msn.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Steve J Vaughan

Jan 5, 2005, 3:43:02 AM1/5/05
Tom, Ron and Frank thanks to you all for looking into this for me.