how to import a text file using an UTF-8 encoding ?

Samuel Guiochon

Jan 25, 2002, 5:36:07 AM1/25/02
Hi everybody!

It seems not possible in Excel2000 to
specify the encoding type of a text file to import.
The only possibility provided is ANSI (Windows or PC or
Mac).
Word2000 offers this functionnality but not Excel!!!

How to proceed to import an UTF-8 encoded text file into
Excel2000?

Thanks in advance for your support!

S.G.

David McRitchie

Jan 25, 2002, 12:52:41 PM1/25/02
Hi Samuel,
UTF-8 Sampler
http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/utf8.html
http://www.unicode.org/ (takes awhile to load)

All I could find in my Excel 2000 (US version) is
Excel function ASC Changes full-width (double-byte) English
letters or katakana within a character string to half-width
(single-byte) characters.

Also check Excel VBA Help -- Answer Wizard
double byte
double-byte

I looked in Google Groups, and basically questions to UTF-8
questions are unanswered. Also looked in the MS KB
within "Excel for Windows" and found nothing for UTF-8

My best guess would be to open in Word or with Internet Explorer
and paste into Excel, if whatever you are doing doesn't work.

Your feedback and anyone else's would be appreciated, as already
noted others share your problem and have unanswered questions.

HTH,
My Excel Macros: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm

David McRitchie

Jan 25, 2002, 4:50:32 PM1/25/02
Hi Samuel,
This information is from Excel 2002 Help (I don't have Excel XP)

http://www.microsoft.com/Office/techinfo/productdoc/2002/en/excel/default.asp?URL=/Office/techinfo/productdoc/2002/en/excel/xlwhatsn
ewhome.htm

don't know if this helps. It would probably help if you indicated
what language you are working with so someone with Excel XP
that works with your language might be able to help.

Since things are hard to find again -- here is a very long quote from the
link above. I don't even know if this relates UTF-8 or UTF-16 at all.

If you are not using the specific language version of Microsoft Office for which one of these features is designed, then the feature
is only available if you have installed the Microsoft Office XP Multilingual User Interface Pack or Microsoft Office XP Proofing
Tools for that language. In addition, you must enable support for the language through Microsoft Office XP Language Settings.

Improvements to changing the language of the user interface and Help More components across Microsoft Office support changing the
language of their user interface. In addition, terms on the interface match the terms in Help, even when the main text of Help is in
a different language than the interface. This feature is only available with the Office XP MUI Pack and a volume licensing
agreement.

Hangul/Hanja converter improvements Over 20,000 new characters are supported by this converter for Korean language documents. The
converter automatically uses new fonts that have the proper glyphs for the new characters.

Full support for Windows 2000 language features Office programs now support all the languages that Microsoft Windows 2000 does.
Office also supports the latest extensions to Chinese character encoding via Unicode, including support for almost 70,000 Chinese
characters.

East Asian character support on non-East Asian systems Now you can enter characters from East Asian languages in all Office
programs, even if your system software is a non-East Asian language version. (This was previously only supported in Microsoft Word
and Microsoft Outlook, or when running Windows 2000.) For example, on a computer running English (U.S.) Microsoft Windows 98, you
can enter Japanese characters in Excel.

Andre Stechert

Jan 25, 2002, 11:54:58 PM1/25/02

Our dev group has been running into a similar problem. We wanted
to use a CSV (comma separated values) file as our inter-platform file
format, but the Excel CSV converter seems to assume that the CP1252
encoding is being used. We've found two less than ideal solutions so
far:

1. If you save in HTML (a kind of text format), then you can specify
the character encoding in "Web options" in the General tab of Tools >
Options in Excel. I think you have to have a workbook open to look at
options.

2. Access has a super-snazzy "Advanced" button on its delimited file
format input wizard. It's on the first page and it lets you specify
the input character encoding. This will get you a database with
properly encoded characters (be wary of the default font in Access
though - it's not a Unicode font), then you can export to an Excel
file and use that. Slow and painful, but it works.

Cheers,
Andre