Can all '07 ofc software revert to 2000 so I can work wo crying?

Crystal

Sep 10, 2007, 3:38:01 PM9/10/07
I HATE the new 2007 editions of MS Office Excel and Word. I can't find any
of the commands I used to know by heart. Every time I try to use the new
computer I want to cry or throw it out the window. This is totally an
unfamiliar problem for me because
1) I grew up with a mouse in my hand,
2) I have a minor in Computer Science, and
3) my friends call me "Data" because I'm typically so UNemotional.

WHY ON EARTH did microsofties decide to go and change EVERYTHING?????

Is there a way to make 2007 editions look and work like previous editions?
While I await the instructions, I'm going back to my 2000 NT machine. If
there are no instructions, this computer is getting returned ASAP.

Thanks.

Crystal

Dave Peterson

Sep 10, 2007, 9:17:14 PM9/10/07
There are third party programs that display the "classic" menus:

Patrick Schmid's ribbon customizer:
http://pschmid.net/index.php

(or directly)
http://pschmid.net/office2007/ribboncustomizer/download.php

From the documentation page:
http://pschmid.net/office2007/ribboncustomizer/featuretourpart3.php

Dick Kusleika reviewed a couple:
http://www.dailydoseofexcel.com/archives/2007/04/18/forward-into-the-past/

--

Dave Peterson

Crystal

Sep 11, 2007, 6:50:00 AM9/11/07
Thanks! Elsewhere somebody wrote something to the effect of "oh just take 20
minutes to learn the new system" and it's not that simple. I HAD everything
arranged for the way I need to use it. This new "ribbon" thing has forced me
back to using all the control keys that my fingers remember because I can't
find the commands graphically. Perhaps in 6 months I can schedule some time
to learn the "ribbon." More likely, I'll wait 2 or 3 more years to consider
upgrading from Win '98 and 2000 to XP.

I'm absolutely letting our IT department know that upgrading to Vista and
2007 Office is a VERY BAD idea. Others in our company, especially the older
ones, are SIGNIFICANTLY more averse to change than I am and are likely to
stop using the computer entirely.

~ Crystal

Roger Govier

Sep 11, 2007, 7:23:19 AM9/11/07
Hi Crystal

It does become easier with time.
In the interim, there is also an excellent free download form Shah Shailesh,
which provides the "comfort" of the old menu system till you become familiar
with the ribbon.

http://in.geocities.com/shahshaileshs/

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Crystal" <Cry...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

iliace

Sep 11, 2007, 1:46:55 PM9/11/07
Make a custom ribbon, or have someone do it for you. Distribute it
office-wide. Office 2007 makes it much easier to implement such
solutions. I have "My Tab" just to the left of my "Home" tab
(implemented as a start-up add-in workbook), and while I'm pretty
fluent with the standard ribbon commands by now, I find that I use
these commands 95% of the time:

* PivotTable
* Table (well worth the switch to 07 just for this one)
* Paste sub-menu
* Conditional Formatting
* Auto-Filter
* Sort
* Name Manager
* Font group (the thing that comes up as floatey when you right-click
on cells)
* External Data group
* Formula Auditing group

At 1280 resolution (not wide-screen), all these fit on the ribbon and
make it extremely convenient. The other common features (New, Open,
Print, Print Preview, etc) are right below in the Quick Access
Toolbar.

It doesn't take 6 months, I don't care how old you are. Not 20
minutes either, but certainly not 6 months - nowhere near that.

I've asked many colleagues who've made the switch, particularly ones
who are not computer-friendly, what they like most about the new
version. Their answer: "Everything is better! I can find stuff!"
With Word, the new system is even more intuitive - not right away for
someone like me or you who is used to the old version, but certainly
for less experienced users. I wouldn't be so quick to jump to
conclusions about "older users" as you call them.

On Sep 11, 6:50 am, Crystal <Crys...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Thanks! Elsewhere somebody wrote something to the effect of "oh just take 20
> minutes to learn the new system" and it's not that simple. I HAD everything
> arranged for the way I need to use it. This new "ribbon" thing has forced me
> back to using all the control keys that my fingers remember because I can't
> find the commands graphically. Perhaps in 6 months I can schedule some time
> to learn the "ribbon." More likely, I'll wait 2 or 3 more years to consider
> upgrading from Win '98 and 2000 to XP.
>
> I'm absolutely letting our IT department know that upgrading to Vista and
> 2007 Office is a VERY BAD idea. Others in our company, especially the older
> ones, are SIGNIFICANTLY more averse to change than I am and are likely to
> stop using the computer entirely.
>
> ~ Crystal
>

> "Dave Peterson" wrote:
> > There are third party programs that display the "classic" menus:
>
> > Patrick Schmid's ribbon customizer:
> >http://pschmid.net/index.php
>
> > (or directly)
> >http://pschmid.net/office2007/ribboncustomizer/download.php
>
> > From the documentation page:
> >http://pschmid.net/office2007/ribboncustomizer/featuretourpart3.php
>
> > Dick Kusleika reviewed a couple:

> >http://www.dailydoseofexcel.com/archives/2007/04/18/forward-into-the-...

> > Crystal wrote:
>
> > > I HATE the new 2007 editions of MS Office Excel and Word. I can't find any
> > > of the commands I used to know by heart. Every time I try to use the new
> > > computer I want to cry or throw it out the window. This is totally an
> > > unfamiliar problem for me because
> > > 1) I grew up with a mouse in my hand,
> > > 2) I have a minor in Computer Science, and
> > > 3) my friends call me "Data" because I'm typically so UNemotional.
>
> > > WHY ON EARTH did microsofties decide to go and change EVERYTHING?????
>
> > > Is there a way to make 2007 editions look and work like previous editions?
> > > While I await the instructions, I'm going back to my 2000 NT machine. If
> > > there are no instructions, this computer is getting returned ASAP.
>
> > > Thanks.
>
> > > Crystal
>
> > --
>

> > Dave Peterson- Hide quoted text -

JR Hester

Sep 20, 2007, 2:40:03 PM9/20/07
Interesting that you mentioned AUTOFILTER specifically. I just spent a couple
of hours looking over the 2007 Excel application. Primarily comparing it to
my inbstruction guide for Excel XP. AUTOFILTER is one thing I could NOT find.
Found filtering and sorting. I was able to apply the filter to selected
columns.

?? Have you actually found something labeled autofilters, or are you
referring to the filter and sorting options? The reason I ask is that another
user is having trouble with AUTOFILTERS in her 2007 version, and I can't find
autofilter anywhere. Please point me to this option in 2007.

Roger Govier

Sep 21, 2007, 3:43:49 AM9/21/07
Hi

On the Data tab, clicking Filter applies Autofilter to the range you have
selected.
Use the dropdowns to filter your requirement.

One a filter is applied, the Clear icon to the right of Filter is activated,
to clear all filters in one go.

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"JR Hester" <JRHe...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

jj_boston

Oct 23, 2007, 6:09:02 PM10/23/07
I too absolutely detest the new 2007 user interface. I find it extremely
rigid and un-customizable. In 2000 Excel, I used to have about 5 different
toolbars with a total of about 45 command icons. About 25 of these icons I
used regularly, and the other 20 or so were occasionally used. The rest of
the excel commands I didn't need, but I knew where to look for them in the
menus if I ever did need them. I had every toolbar and icon exactly how I
wanted it, and exactly where I wanted it.
In the 2007 system I'm just starting to use, there is only one toolbar, the
"quick access" bar, that I can't put wherever I want, and can only handle one
icon after another, after another. I can't split thing up into multiple
toolbars or drag different toolbars to different parts of the screen.

For the menu-based commands, and let's face it, the "ribbon" is the same
system as the old menus, the menus are now cluttered, and I have to sort
through dozens of options to find the one I wanted.

To Autofit a cell's column width for example, Instead of the 2000 method of
going to the format menu, scanning a short list of 7 options, picking column,
and picking autofit from another short sublist of 5 items, in the 2007 method
I now have to go to "home" (a mashing together of edit and format commands?
Why name it "home" instead of "edit"? to confuse people like me who've been
loyal customers for 15 years? And same goes for changing the "file" menu to
an un-named graphical symbol... as practical to users as trying to find a
Prince album in the store after he renamed himself with a symbol in the 90's)
look at a ribbon that has about 42 icons on it (none of which can be
customized as far as I can tell), navigate my eyes through the 42 icon
cluster to the "cells" area, pick "format" from 3 options, and then pick
autofit from a sub-menu list of 12 options. Every menu, from home to insert
to view is a cluster-bomb of icons, most of which I'll never need, that I
have to navigate through to get to the commands I do need.

I feel like I'm having to learn a more complicated 2nd language, when I was
already extremely happy with and fluent in the 1st language that I spoke for
15 years. Not good for efficiency. Are they daring me to try a macintosh for
the 1st time in my life? I have a feeling I'll either ask my IT guy to
install an older version of Office or try one of the add-ons that gives the
old-style feel.

Roger Govier

Oct 23, 2007, 7:57:15 PM10/23/07
Hi

The ribbon is fine, once you get used to it.
If in the meantime, you need to access the "old" menu style, you could
download the free add-in from Shah Shailesh.
http://in.geocities.com/shahshaileshs/
download Excel Menu 2003
--
Regards
Roger Govier

"jj_boston" <jjbo...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

steve....@gmail.com

Oct 25, 2007, 8:29:23 AM10/25/07
the ribbon is NOT fine, it's rubbish. A complete failure as far as
I'm concerned.
I hope M$ is forced soon to re-establish the old menu and toolbars
system.

Unknown

Nov 28, 2007, 10:17:00 AM11/28/07
I agree!!! I have also been an excel power user and go-to person for the last
15 years. I find the new version of excel has been dumbed-down to the point
of forced inefficiency. I barely use a mouse with the earlier versions of
excel and this version forces me to use a mouse. My toolbars and settings are
highly customized and macro'ed to the point that I always keep a copy of my
.xlb and personal.xls files on hand. I do not have time to invest in
relearning what was an extremely useful, reliable, and efficient tool. To
cite a saying that aptly reflects my frustration, 'If it ain't broke don't
fix it.' Why not create a version for non-excel users and keep the original?
Isn't this reminiscent of "New Coke"?????

Bob I

Nov 28, 2007, 11:45:16 AM11/28/07
No, it's more reminiscent of the shift from DOS to Windows.

FB

Mar 9, 2008, 4:52:03 PM3/9/08
I would think that it should have been an option that MS provided similar to
having the classic look available in XP...

I have uninstalled the 2007 and will be sticking with Office 2003 for the
time being - Unlike the move from DOS to Windows I am not noticing a
improvement in my productivity.

It may be time to look at Apple products.

Bob I

Mar 10, 2008, 1:24:00 PM3/10/08

FB wrote:

> I would think that it should have been an option that MS provided similar to
> having the classic look available in XP...
>
> I have uninstalled the 2007 and will be sticking with Office 2003 for the
> time being - Unlike the move from DOS to Windows I am not noticing a
> improvement in my productivity.
>
> It may be time to look at Apple products.

Happy hunting!!!!!
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Apple+spreadsheet