Clipping of Y axis label

Phil C

Jul 7, 2004, 8:03:23 AM7/7/04
Hi

We have noticed that the last character (sometimes last two) gets clipped
off the Y axis title (Chart Options|Titles|Value(Y) Axis), so text entered
as 'Pressure difference (mmHg)' appears on the graph (printed vertically) as
'Pressure difference (mmHg' or even 'Pressure difference (mmH'. Problem
apparent whatever the font size. And occurs in Excel version 2000 and
version 2003. X axis title is OK.

Known bug? Workaround?

Thanks, Phil

Jon Peltier

Jul 7, 2004, 11:44:10 AM7/7/04
Phil -

This is due to a combination of font size, zoom factor, screen
resolution, and a few other monitor related parameters ("pixel aspect
ratio"). It's frustrating because it isn't really predictable, and it
isn't easy to get rid of.

The standard workaround suggested here is to append a couple spaces and
a period after the title text. Hide the period for those without this
problem by formatting the last character's font color to match the
background. Another option is to put the desired text into a text box
formatted the way the title would have been.

I understand that Microsoft is preparing an article for the knowledge
base relating to this problem. I don't believe there's a more satisfying
workaround than the one I just described.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Phil C

Jul 8, 2004, 5:46:50 AM7/8/04
Thanks John. Much appreciated. I have looked into this a bit more carefully
since my original post:

Create chart using XL 2000, view using XL 2000 on PC #1 : Problem apparent
Create chart using XL 2000, view using XL 2003 on PC #2 : Problem NOT
apparent
Create chart using XL 2003, view using XL 2003 on PC #2 : Problem NOT
apparent
Create chart using XL 2003, view using XL 2000 on PC #1 : Problem apparent

The screen res on both PCs is set to 1024x768 , and both are running running
Windows 2000.

I would have to install XL version 2003 on my PC (#1) to totally convince
myself that it was not dependent on the version of Excel.

Phil

"Jon Peltier" <DOjo...@SPAMpeltiertechME.com> wrote in message

Jon Peltier

Jul 8, 2004, 8:19:56 AM7/8/04
Phil -

... or XL 2000 onto PC 2.

Did you try a few screen resolutions as well? A guy I worked with had
problems with charts at 140% and above, but not at 139% and below.

Doug

Jul 8, 2004, 6:22:57 PM7/8/04
Ditto on the truncation of the y-axis lable. This is an
annoying glitch. Have you found a solution yet?

Doug