RE: Howto make explorer use my app for an xml file

Kevin Yu [MSFT]

May 28, 2004, 4:54:05 AM5/28/04
Hi Phil,

First of all, I would like to confirm my understanding of your issue. From
your description, I understand that you need to open an xml file with your
own application when the xml file contains a tag such as <?mso-application
progid="Word.Document"?>. If there is any misunderstanding, please feel
free to let me know.

Based on my research, this can be implemented by modifying the registring
keys. Here are the steps:
1. Your application has to be a COM component which has a ProgID and it has
been registered on your machine.
2. Click Start -> Run, type regedit and press enter to open the registry
editor.
3. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared\XML\ProgIds in
the left tree and add a new string value on the right pane. The name of the
key has to be your progID, such as "MyApplication.Document".
4. Then you can add the tag in your Xml document, like <?mso-application
progid="MyApplication.Document"?>.

When you double click the icon, it will be opened by your app.

HTH. If anything is unclear, please feel free to reply to the post.

Kevin Yu
=======
rights."