Microsoft.Win32 Remote Registry

Pong Vechvitvarakul

Oct 5, 2002, 9:13:12 PM10/5/02

I am looking for a way to read registry of a several remote machines. I have
an administrator username and the password of the target workstations. Here
is the code in VB.NET I have so far. However, I cannot find a way I can
specified my own credentials (a combination of admin username and password).
Can anybody give me a clue???? *sniff*

Dim MyReg As Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey =
Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.OpenRemoteBaseKey(Microsoft.Win32.RegistryHive.L
ocalMachine, "MyBox")

Dim MyRegKey As Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey
Dim MyVal

MyRegKey = MyReg.OpenSubKey("Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\currentVersion")
MyVal = MyRegKey.GetValue("RegisteredOwner")
MyRegKey.Close()
TextBox1.Text = MyVal

Thanks in Advance!!!
Pong

VBDotNet Team [MS]

Oct 7, 2002, 4:44:38 PM10/7/02
Hello Pong,

Can you check these things:

1) On the remote machine, remote adminstration is enabled, and the Remote
Registry service is running. (Also you may need to be running as a user with
sufficient privileges to access the remote key, either by running the
program as such a user, or by doing impersonation of that user before
accessing the regkey)

2) The spelling of the registry key and value you want is correct. In your
posting, you were missing a space between "windows" and "nt". That will
cause MyRegKey to be assigned Null.

Assuming those, this should work for you. Good luck!

Dan & Huy

Visual Studio Team

System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

Dim MyReg As Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey = _

Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.OpenRemoteBaseKey(Microsoft.Win32.RegistryHive.L
ocalMachine, "remotemachinenamehere")

Dim MyRegKey As Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey

Dim MyVal

MyRegKey = MyReg.OpenSubKey("Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion")

MyVal = MyRegKey.GetValue("RegisteredOwner")

MyRegKey.Close()

TextBox1.Text = MyVal

End Sub

"Pong Vechvitvarakul" <sumrit.vec...@charter.net> wrote in message