Which Database type to use?

Devlei

Feb 21, 2006, 4:03:28 AM2/21/06
A have a simple one table database that I want users to access, use and
update from desktop and/or mobile device. Which database type is best
suited for the job? SQL, MS-Jet/Access, or simply XML?

Ken Tucker [MVP]

Feb 21, 2006, 6:34:17 AM2/21/06

I prefer sql server because they have a mobile version available.
You can use sql express or sql server 2005 with sql mobile. Sql server 2000
has sql ce.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/sql/mobile/default.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/sql/express/default.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/sql/2000/SQLCE/default.aspx

Ken
----------------
"Devlei" <dev...@eastcape.net> wrote in message

Cerebrus

Feb 21, 2006, 7:04:18 AM2/21/06
The criteria for selection usually is (very briefly) :

1. SQL Server : Use this when you need a robust database solution, with high
performance, that can easily manage very large tables.

2. MS Access : Use this when you need a developer friendly and performant
database solution, that will not contain very large tables.

3. XML : Use this when interoperability between different platforms is your
main concern, and it's possible that above programs installed.

Regards,

Cerebrus.

Nobody

Feb 21, 2006, 11:05:47 AM2/21/06
One table database sounds a lot like a flat file to me. Without knowing the
data, how it will be used,
and how much, I would lean towards XML. I have used XML for solutions along
this line before
with great results.

Devlei

Feb 21, 2006, 2:07:48 PM2/21/06
Thanks for the response Ken!!

Can the desktop user open and update the SQLCE file directly, assuming
its location is in one of the sync folders?

Dave

Devlei

Feb 21, 2006, 2:15:28 PM2/21/06
Thanks "Cerebrus" and "Nobody" for your responses!!

Am I correct in concluding that in order to access the same file from
both desktop and device (assuming it in a sync folder), the best option
is to go XML?

Dave