Windows Legacy: Writing to a database in programs folder

Kai-Uwe Tillmann

Oct 30, 2007, 12:47:12 PM10/30/07

Hello,

in my opinion a program should never write to a database that exists in
the programs folder.
Am I right about that? Does Windows speak about that clearly, e. g. in a
legacy?
We have struggles here whether this is correct or not.

Thank you.
Kai-Uwe

Armin Zingler

Oct 30, 2007, 1:05:50 PM10/30/07
"Kai-Uwe Tillmann" <kai...@googlemailweg.com> schrieb

At least I wouldn't do it because the program folders isn't backed up
(usually). Data folders are.

I'd use Environment.SpecifalFolder.CommonApplicationData + company name +
product name. Or ApplicationData/LocalApplicationData for personal data.

It should be possible to completly uninstall an application including the
removal of the application folder and reinstall it without losing data.

Only IMO.

Armin

Cor Ligthert[MVP]

Oct 31, 2007, 1:42:35 AM10/31/07

Some cultures think that women should be hidden from top to teen. I respect
that.

You should come to our beaches in summer to see how that is in my culture. I
am glad about that.

Please give everybody the opportunity to do it in the way they like. The
world has never become better because some idiots think/thought they have to
tell how others should behave.

IMO

Cor

Jack Jackson

Oct 31, 2007, 2:21:32 AM10/31/07

In modern Windows OSs a non-admin user can't write to Program Files,
so if your program writes there you force your users to run as admin.
You of course are free to do that if you want, but you will cause some
users to not use your program.

C-Services Holland b.v.

Oct 31, 2007, 6:10:25 AM10/31/07
Cor Ligthert[MVP] schreef:

UAC in Vista doesn't like you to write to the program files folder.
Keeping that in mind, software nowadays needs to write to the users data
folder and not to the "program files\programname" folder

--
Rinze van Huizen
C-Services Holland b.v

Patrice

Oct 31, 2007, 6:27:09 AM10/31/07
AFAIK, this is correct. You need at least to be a power user to be able to
write to program files. Just check the securtiy tab for this location to
check what are the default permissions...

technet.microsoft.com should also have some details about these securtity
fixes (or perhaps Windows 2000 where IMO it first appeared).

--
Patrice

"Kai-Uwe Tillmann" <kai...@googlemailweg.com> a écrit dans le message de
news: uEzyKSx...@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...

Cor Ligthert[MVP]

Nov 1, 2007, 1:51:09 AM11/1/07
Hi Rinze,

There are (most probably) no women who go dressed in Staphorst as on the
beach at Zandvoort.

However if they want that, it is on their own risc. I don't like all kind of
borders just because somebody thought it was good, the only result is that
if somebody has to do something it cost him much more time than needed.

I was in Poland last week, I needed two times a long time to pass the
border, while next month it is totaly open. (They are not yet in the full
threatment of the EU and use that to behave on the borders as almost in the
communist times, at the moment everybody is checked and the passing of that
border is one car at a time).

Just my opinion.

Cor

rowe_newsgroups

Nov 1, 2007, 7:58:31 AM11/1/07
On Nov 1, 1:51 am, "Cor Ligthert[MVP]" <notmyfirstn...@planet.nl>
wrote:

Cor,

Not to be rude, but what the heck are you talking about? And why is
any of it relevant to this topic or even this newsgroup?

The OP was asking about where to store a database, not about whether
woman should completely covered by their clothing...

Thanks,

Seth Rowe

Cor Ligthert[MVP]

Nov 1, 2007, 2:40:01 PM11/1/07
> Not to be rude, but what the heck are you talking about? And why is
> any of it relevant to this topic or even this newsgroup?
>
> The OP was asking about where to store a database, not about whether
> woman should completely covered by their clothing...

Seth,

In my idea was the OP writing this below, and I used an anology to avoid a
long message.

in my opinion a program should never write to a database that exists in
the programs folder.
Am I right about that? Does Windows speak about that clearly, e. g. in a
legacy?
We have struggles here whether this is correct or not

So what are you talking about?

Cor

rowe_newsgroups

Nov 1, 2007, 4:47:22 PM11/1/07
> In my idea was the OP writing this below, and I used an anology to avoid a
> long message.

I noticed your poor analogy in your first post, and chose not to
commit figuring you misread the OP, but your second post is complete
jibberish.

The OP was not (imo) asking for about opinions but actual facts about
where to save a database. Your reply was a skewed analogy about a
situation based on religion and not facts (and no, I'm not starting a
religious debate here) and has absolutely nothing to do with the OP's
problem. I believe the posts from Armin, Jack, and C-Services Holland
provided answers to the OP's question, while your reply did little
more than confuse the situation.

Also, you used two off topic posts with multiple paragraphs each to
"avoid a long message". Doesn't that defeat the purpose....

Thanks,

Seth Rowe

Cor Ligthert[MVP]

Nov 2, 2007, 1:30:12 AM11/2/07
Shane,

> I noticed your poor analogy in your first post, and chose not to
> commit figuring you misread the OP, but your second post is complete
> jibberish.

Yea it is only understandable for Dutch (not even Dutch speaking) people.

Please don't judge to quick and make messages to proof that you are right, I
knew that I was going on slippery ground, did expect comments, however not
from you.

> The OP was not (imo) asking for about opinions but actual facts about
> where to save a database.

I respectfully disagree that, even if the OP says now that this was his
intention.

For me was his intention that it should not be allowed in the program
languages, not what it means in Vista. This is a programming language
newsgroup you know, not an OS newsgroup.

Cor

rowe_newsgroups

Nov 2, 2007, 6:45:28 AM11/2/07
> Shane,

Again, the name is Seth, not "Shane"

> > I noticed your poor analogy in your first post, and chose not to
> > commit figuring you misread the OP, but your second post is complete
> > jibberish.
>
> Yea it is only understandable for Dutch (not even Dutch speaking) people.

Saying this a while ago would have prevented this and other debates...

> Please don't judge to quick and make messages to proof that you are right, I
> knew that I was going on slippery ground, did expect comments, however not
> from you.

Why not from me?

> > The OP was not (imo) asking for about opinions but actual facts about
> > where to save a database.
>
> I respectfully disagree that, even if the OP says now that this was his
> intention.

If this is how you interpreted his message, then I can see why you
posted your message. However, as stated before, I was replying more
about your second thread thank your first.

P.S. for the others trying to follow the full conversation, it has
spread to:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb/browse_thread/thread/ac49730f4d9597ac/d9f1142e578764f9?hl=en&lnk=raot#d9f1142e578764f9

Thanks,

Seth Rowe