Calling all (any?) NDoc'ers

Phill W.

Feb 1, 2006, 6:04:56 AM2/1/06
I'm still having trouble trying to generate MSDN-style documentation for
the classes and controls I've written and, because traffic in the
SourceForge
forums seems to have completely dried up, I thought I'd cast my net (sic)
a little further afield.

So, anyone [still] using VBCommenter with VB 2003, please read on.

My biggest problem at the moment is with Events. VBCommenter
generates /two/ entries in the XML file (read by NDOC) one with
just the Event name, the other for the Event /Handler/, and the latter
contains all my carefully crafted summary, remarks, param comments.

When I build the chm file, though, NDOC seems to expect the Event
entry in the XML to have these /as well/. Because they're not there, I
wind up with "holes" in the class' Members page, with NDOC's "missing"
messages all over where the "summary" ought to be.

The XML comments in my code (with namespaces trimmed):

'''-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
''' <summary>
''' Not applicable for the cell description.
''' </summary>
''' <param name="sender">The Control raising the event. </param>
''' <param name="e">Arguments specific to the Event. </param>
''' <remarks>
''' This Event exists solely to implement the
''' <see cref="T: ... Typeable" /> interface.
''' </remarks>
''' <seealso cref="T: ... .ITypeable" >ITypeable Interface</seealso>
''' <seealso cref="E: ... .ValueChanged" >ValueChanged event</seealso>
'''-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The intermediate XML generated by VBCommenter (with a few
extra line breaks for clarity):

<member name="E: ... .ValueChanged" />
<member name="T: ... .ValueChangedEventHandler">
<summary>
Not applicable for the cell description.
</summary>
<param name="sender">The Control raising the event. </param>
<param name="e">Arguments specific to the Event. </param>
<remarks>
This Event exists solely to implement the
<see cref="T: ... .ITypeable" /> interface.
</remarks>
<seealso cref="T: ... .ITypeable">ITypeable Interface</seealso>
<seealso cref="E: ... .ValueChanged">ValueChanged event</seealso>
</member>

(finally) The class' Members page - you'll just have to /imagine/ this lot
in an
HTML Table ;-)

Public Instance Events

ValueChanged Missing <summary> documentation for ...

Any suggestions?

TIA,
Phill W.

Peter Macej

Feb 1, 2006, 8:11:03 AM2/1/06
> My biggest problem at the moment is with Events. VBCommenter
> generates /two/ entries in the XML file (read by NDOC) one with
> just the Event name, the other for the Event /Handler/, and the latter
> contains all my carefully crafted summary, remarks, param comments.

It seems that NDoc is OK. VBCommenter generates wrong XML file. Nor
IntelliSense for your event will work with it.

I can't help you with it. Our VBdocman .NET generates proper comments,
XML file and MSDN documentation from your VB source code.

--
Peter Macej
Helixoft - http://www.vbdocman.com