Outlook Security Prompt

ML

Nov 11, 2004, 9:51:39 AM11/11/04
Is there anyway to get around the security prompt from Outlook when using
the object in a vb.net winforms app?
I want to be able to load the contacts lists from Outlook but each time it
access it you get the security warning.

Tosch

Nov 11, 2004, 10:23:51 AM11/11/04
Maybe this tool helps you:
http://www.contextmagic.com/express-clickyes/

It' automatically get's rid of the security dialog. Can be
enabled/disabled from your app. Work's with all OL versions.

Tosch

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 10:51:39 -0400, "ML" <m...@schoonersolutions.com>

ML

Nov 11, 2004, 10:37:40 AM11/11/04
Not really a good solution to install at a client site but thanks.
Was looking for an actual way around it in code.

Would using WebDav bypass this when going to an exchange server? Basically
I need access to a public contacts folder on Exchange.

"Tosch" <tosch_...@swissonline.ch> wrote in message

Jay B. Harlow [MVP - Outlook]

Nov 11, 2004, 10:43:53 AM11/11/04
ML,
To avoid the Outlook security prompts its generally easiest to create a
properly constructed COM-Addin for Outlook 2003. There are other methods
available for other versions of Outlook...

See:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/odc_ol2003_ta/html/odc_olsecnotescomaddins.asp

Further info can be found at:
http://www.slipstick.com/dev/ol2003problems.htm
http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/admin.htm

Hope this helps
Jay

"ML" <m...@schoonersolutions.com> wrote in message

ML

Nov 11, 2004, 10:52:19 AM11/11/04
Not looking to create an add-in for Outlook. Looking to access Outlook from
an external app. More specifically I am interested in getting at an
Exchange Public contacts folder.

"Jay B. Harlow [MVP - Outlook]" <Jay_Har...@msn.com> wrote in message

Jay B. Harlow [MVP - Outlook]

Nov 11, 2004, 11:14:10 AM11/11/04
ML,
I realize that, which is why I included the second two links. You did review
the two other links before you responded?

Both links provide a plethora of information & links on the proper ways to
avoid the security prompts. Which includes settings that need to be made by
your Exchange Server Administrator.

As your other thread suggests, you should be able to use WebDAV also.

Alternatively you could create a Web Service (that internally uses WebDAV)
that returns the list of contacts to your Windows program.

As I mentioned in the other thread, you might want to start here with the
following two sites:

Here is a good place to start on articles about using Outlook & .NET
(including Exchange Server).

http://www.microeye.com/resources/res_outlookvsnet.htm

For a discussion on selecting development technologies for Exchange Server,
start here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/e2k3/e2k3/_techsel_intro.asp

I believe the second site (techsel_intro) eventually has links to Exchange
Server WebDAV samples, post if you need help finding them.

Hope this helps
Jay

"ML" <m...@schoonersolutions.com> wrote in message

ML

Nov 11, 2004, 11:26:12 AM11/11/04
Yes I did and thanks for the links.

Trying to avoid as much administration as possible is the main issue. Was
hoping for something that could handle it from the app itself instead of
having to modify the Exchange settings, etc.

It looks like WebDav may be my only real option. Just can't seem to find
some decent examples of using it. What I have found seems overly complex
for the task at hand. All I really want to do is to retrieve the contact
info and in turn list these back to the user and also be able to save the ID
of a selection in an external DB so we can reference back to Exchange when
needed.

"Jay B. Harlow [MVP - Outlook]" <Jay_Har...@msn.com> wrote in message

D Fields

Nov 11, 2004, 3:15:04 PM11/11/04
Unfortunatley thats what malicious code writers seek as well.....hence the
security warning!!!

"ML" <m...@schoonersolutions.com> wrote in message

Peter Huang

Nov 12, 2004, 2:10:30 AM11/12/04
Hi

About outlook security dialog, you may take a look at the link below.

290499.KB.EN-US OL2002: Administrator Information About E-Mail Security
Features
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=290499

Here are some links about webdav.
How to create an Outlook Calendar folder by using WebDAV with Visual C# .NET
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313121

How to Search a WebDAV Directory with XML
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;293885

For detailed information about webdav, I think you may try to post in the
newsgroup below.

microsoft.public.exchange2000.development
or
microsoft.public.exchange.development

Best regards,

Peter Huang