noob question

1 view

azz131

May 9, 2007, 10:29:57 PM5/9/07
Hi, i am trying to access a field in an array of objects but i get this
error "Exception System.NullReferenceException was thrown in debuggee:Object
reference not set to an instance of an object".What am i doing wrong?

using System;

using System.Collections.Generic;

namespace ObjectArray

{

class MyClass

{

public int x=0;

}

class MainClass

{

string a;

public static void Main(string[] args)

{

MyClass[] myobject=new MyClass[10];

myobject[1].x=10;// error here

Console.ReadLine();

}

}

}

Dom

May 9, 2007, 11:07:49 PM5/9/07
You've only created an array of 10 objects. Each one is null. You
need to create and object for each of them.

myobject[0] = new MyClass (...);
myobject[9] = new MyClass (...);

Dom

Jon Skeet [C# MVP]

May 10, 2007, 2:37:40 AM5/10/07
azz131 <binar...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Hi, i am trying to access a field in an array of objects but i get this
> error "Exception System.NullReferenceException was thrown in debuggee:Object
> reference not set to an instance of an object".What am i doing wrong?

This line:

MyClass[] myobject=new MyClass[10];

creates an array of 10 elements. Initially, every element is a null
reference. That hasn't created any instances of MyClass itself. So you
need to do:

myobject[0] = new MyClass();

before you can do myobject[0].x = 10;

--