Performance to convert byte[] to a value

Roy

May 3, 2008, 10:50:00 PM5/3/08
What is the way to have best performance to copy a byte[] to a value such as
long?
I use
BitConverter.ToInt64(binary, offset)
But the performace is not good enough. I need to have the best performance
in my case.

Arne Vajhøj

May 3, 2008, 11:23:41 PM5/3/08

Do you know something about the bytes you will have that makes them
special compared to the general case Microsoft has coded for ?

If not I find it difficult to believe that it will be possible
to find something faster.

Oh - and are you sure this is really the bottleneck in your app ??

(you should be able to do 100-200 million conversions per second)

Arne

Aneesh Pulukkul [http://dotnet-revolutions.blogspot.com]

May 4, 2008, 7:42:01 AM5/4/08

As per my understanding BIrConverter is the apt option to convert byte
array to numeric. It has a property to check the endianness also -
IsLittleEndian. Do not know how bad it is from perdormance point of
view. Do you have any benchmark results?

Arne Vajhøj

May 4, 2008, 11:41:30 AM5/4/08
Aneesh Pulukkul [http://dotnet-revolutions.blogspot.com] wrote:
> On May 4, 8:23 am, Arne Vajhøj <a...@vajhoej.dk> wrote:
>> Roy wrote:
>>> What is the way to have best performance to copy a byte[] to a value such as
>>> long?
>>> I use
>>> BitConverter.ToInt64(binary, offset)
>>> But the performace is not good enough. I need to have the best performance
>>> in my case.
>> Do you know something about the bytes you will have that makes them
>> special compared to the general case Microsoft has coded for ?
>>
>> If not I find it difficult to believe that it will be possible
>> to find something faster.
>>
>> Oh - and are you sure this is really the bottleneck in your app ??
>>
>> (you should be able to do 100-200 million conversions per second)
>
> As per my understanding BIrConverter is the apt option to convert byte
> array to numeric. It has a property to check the endianness also -
> IsLittleEndian. Do not know how bad it is from perdormance point of
> view. Do you have any benchmark results?

The endianess check is a single if statement (I looked with reflector).

It uses shift and or to create the long.

I can not right away come up with any ideas that I would expect
to be faster.

I did test BitConverter against a union (struct with field offset) and
BitConverter was much faster.

If it was a huge array that needed to be converted, then possible
a call to native code could be worth considering.

Arne

Roy

May 4, 2008, 12:27:00 PM5/4/08
I do have a List<byte[]> with one million of byte[] entries (each of tem has
3 values) to convert. It takes 1 - 2 seconds to convert. And it is too slow
for my case. What is the native code to convert it with faster performance? I
don't mind how ugly the code looks like as long as the performance is best in
my case.

Jeroen Mostert

May 4, 2008, 4:43:31 PM5/4/08
Roy wrote:
> I do have a List<byte[]> with one million of byte[] entries (each of tem has
> 3 values) to convert. It takes 1 - 2 seconds to convert. And it is too slow
> for my case. What is the native code to convert it with faster performance? I
> don't mind how ugly the code looks like as long as the performance is best in
> my case.

How exactly do you *obtain* a list with one million byte arrays? Wouldn't it
be much faster (and more memory-efficient) to change whatever is producing
such a list to produce the list you need in the first place?

What's the result of the conversion? Another list? Keep in mind that
allocating memory takes time too. The conversion of individual entries is
not the bottleneck, in the sense that you will not be able to speed that up
much. You'll want to focus on minimizing the conversion effort.

--
J.
http://symbolsprose.blogspot.com

Roy

May 4, 2008, 5:44:00 PM5/4/08
I have a basic item consisting of 3 values (I know the types and they alway
together). An item consisted of any number of the basic items can be stored
as a record in database as varbinary(max). After I retrieve the records
(items) from database, I need to
(1) split the record (item) into base items (because the client want to see
the basic item)
(2) restore each basic item from the binary to the original types (3 values)
And I have about 1 million basic items. That's why the performance is very
important for me. I stored multiple basic items together as an item
(varbinary(max)) in database to improve the performace for query. Now I need
to improve the performace for (1) and (2). Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Jon Skeet [C# MVP]

May 4, 2008, 5:50:31 PM5/4/08
Roy <R...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I have a basic item consisting of 3 values (I know the types and they alway
> together). An item consisted of any number of the basic items can be stored
> as a record in database as varbinary(max). After I retrieve the records
> (items) from database, I need to
> (1) split the record (item) into base items (because the client want to see
> the basic item)
> (2) restore each basic item from the binary to the original types (3 values)
> And I have about 1 million basic items. That's why the performance is very
> important for me. I stored multiple basic items together as an item
> (varbinary(max)) in database to improve the performace for query. Now I need
> to improve the performace for (1) and (2). Any suggestions?
> Thanks.

As Arne said, BitConverter is already very fast - on my laptop it goes
through 100 million arrays in a second.

How long is it taking you to get the data from the database in the
first place? I'd expect that to utterly dwarf the conversion time.

--
Jon Skeet - <sk...@pobox.com>
Web site: http://www.pobox.com/~skeet

Arne Vajhøj

May 4, 2008, 10:38:05 PM5/4/08
Roy wrote:
> I do have a List<byte[]> with one million of byte[] entries (each of tem has
> 3 values) to convert. It takes 1 - 2 seconds to convert. And it is too slow
> for my case. What is the native code to convert it with faster performance? I
> don't mind how ugly the code looks like as long as the performance is best in
> my case.

On my PC it takes about 0.043 seconds to convert each byte[3] to long
in a list with one million elements.

Actually I had to test with ten million elements and divide by 10,
because I could not really measure with so small data as one
million elements.

Your 1-2 seconds must be spend on something else.

I think you need to analyze the app again.

List<byte[]> is not suitable for native code I think.

But because there are just 3 bytes you may be able to
do it faster that BitConverter that has to handle all
8 bytes.

The 0.043 seconds are with:

private static long Cvt1(byte[] b)
{
byte[] tmp = new byte[8];
tmp[0] = b[0];
tmp[1] = b[1];
tmp[2] = b[2];
return BitConverter.ToInt64(tmp, 0);
}

but using:

private static long Cvt2(byte[] b)
{
return (b[2] << 16) | (b[1] << 8) | b[0];
}

then I can get it down to 0.006 seconds.

But if it is probably not relevant. If your existing code takes 1.000
seconds then the difference will just reduce it to 0.963 seconds - noone
will notice the difference.

Arne

Ben Voigt [C++ MVP]

May 5, 2008, 10:17:09 AM5/5/08

"Arne Vajhøj" <ar...@vajhoej.dk> wrote in message

> Roy wrote:
>> I do have a List<byte[]> with one million of byte[] entries (each of tem
>> has 3 values) to convert. It takes 1 - 2 seconds to convert. And it is
>> too slow for my case. What is the native code to convert it with faster
>> performance? I don't mind how ugly the code looks like as long as the
>> performance is best in my case.

How are you iterating through the list? Are you using any virtual calls
(through an IList or IEnumerable interface, for example)? Retrieving an
item from the List is probably several times slower than the BitConverter
call.

> On my PC it takes about 0.043 seconds to convert each byte[3] to long
> in a list with one million elements.

What? According to the code for ToInt64, that would throw.

if (startIndex > (value.Length - 8))
{
ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentException(ExceptionResource.Arg_ArrayPlusOffTooSmall);
}

> Actually I had to test with ten million elements and divide by 10,
> because I could not really measure with so small data as one
> million elements.
>
> Your 1-2 seconds must be spend on something else.
>
> I think you need to analyze the app again.
>
> List<byte[]> is not suitable for native code I think.
>
> But because there are just 3 bytes you may be able to
> do it faster that BitConverter that has to handle all
> 8 bytes.

To start with, just use ToInt32 instead...

> The 0.043 seconds are with:
>
> private static long Cvt1(byte[] b)
> {
> byte[] tmp = new byte[8];
> tmp[0] = b[0];
> tmp[1] = b[1];
> tmp[2] = b[2];
> return BitConverter.ToInt64(tmp, 0);
> }

Ahh, that's not a byte[3] after all.

Arne Vajhøj

May 5, 2008, 9:03:26 PM5/5/08
Ben Voigt [C++ MVP] wrote:
> "Arne Vajh�j" <ar...@vajhoej.dk> wrote in message
>> Roy wrote:
>>> I do have a List<byte[]> with one million of byte[] entries (each of tem
>>> has 3 values) to convert. It takes 1 - 2 seconds to convert. And it is
>>> too slow for my case. What is the native code to convert it with faster
>>> performance? I don't mind how ugly the code looks like as long as the
>>> performance is best in my case.
>
> How are you iterating through the list? Are you using any virtual calls
> (through an IList or IEnumerable interface, for example)? Retrieving an
> item from the List is probably several times slower than the BitConverter
> call.

I would expect retrieving a ref to the byte[] from a List<byte[]> to
be much faster than BitCoverter.ToInt64, but I have not measured it
and I can be completely wrong.

>> On my PC it takes about 0.043 seconds to convert each byte[3] to long
>> in a list with one million elements.
>
> What? According to the code for ToInt64, that would throw.
>
> if (startIndex > (value.Length - 8))
> {
> ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentException(ExceptionResource.Arg_ArrayPlusOffTooSmall);
> }

>> The 0.043 seconds are with:

>> private static long Cvt1(byte[] b)
>> {
>> byte[] tmp = new byte[8];
>> tmp[0] = b[0];
>> tmp[1] = b[1];
>> tmp[2] = b[2];
>> return BitConverter.ToInt64(tmp, 0);
>> }
>
> Ahh, that's not a byte[3] after all.

Let us just say that I got an exception in first attempt ...

:-)

Arne

Ben Voigt [C++ MVP]

May 8, 2008, 10:05:25 AM5/8/08
Arne Vajhøj wrote:
> Ben Voigt [C++ MVP] wrote:
>> "Arne Vajhøj" <ar...@vajhoej.dk> wrote in message

>> How are you iterating through the list? Are you using any virtual
>> calls (through an IList or IEnumerable interface, for example)?
>> Retrieving an item from the List is probably several times slower than
>> the
>> BitConverter call.
>
> I would expect retrieving a ref to the byte[] from a List<byte[]> to
> be much faster than BitCoverter.ToInt64, but I have not measured it
> and I can be completely wrong.

BitConverter.ToInt64 ought to be much faster than a virtual call, because it
will be inlined and there is no need for a pipeline flush.

In fact, unless you're dealing with a non-native byte order,
BitConverter.ToInt64 should reduce to just a 64-bit load.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the JIT generates considerably less
efficient code, though.

Arne Vajhøj

May 11, 2008, 8:40:11 PM5/11/08

It is not just the shift's and or's. It is also all the if's.

Arne