HMI using ASP.NET??

preethi...@gmail.com

Jun 28, 2007, 8:26:33 AM6/28/07
Hello friends,

I want to build an HMI application using ASP.NET.Can we design a HMI
using ASP.NET ? I want to plot the dynamic graph that is it changes
every second w.r.t. the data. So is it possible to do this application
using ASP.NET web application?

regards,

Preethi Shanbhag

Alberto Poblacion

Jun 28, 2007, 5:00:44 PM6/28/07
<preethi...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> I want to build an HMI application using ASP.NET.Can we design a HMI
> using ASP.NET ? I want to plot the dynamic graph that is it changes
> every second w.r.t. the data. So is it possible to do this application
> using ASP.NET web application?

A dynamic graph that changes every second is not practical for a web
application. You *could* do it using a timer to refresh a web form every
second (possibly using Ajax to refresh only the part containing the graph),
and the graph could be an image generated on demand at the server. It would
work if the server and the client are powerful enough and the connection
between them is fast enough, but I still think that doing it every second is
not adequete for a web application. You would be better served by a Windows
application for this purpose.

Pramod Anchuparayil

Jun 28, 2007, 6:02:39 PM6/28/07
I Agree. It all depends on how much of data transfer we are talking about
here.

ASP.NET has AJAX (ATLAS) support or you could do the same using javascripts.

"Alberto Poblacion" <earthling-quitae...@poblacion.org> wrote
in message news:OYYTpdcu...@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...

Jesse Houwing

Jun 29, 2007, 5:34:04 AM6/29/07

have a look at either Flash or the more politically correct option in
this newsgroup Microsoft Silverlight. These were written to run in the
browser, but still do stuff.

Alternatively you could use AJAX to solve the issue, but my guess is
that it will take a lot more work and present a less intuitive UI to
your end user.

Jesse