fundamental web services question

1 view

CSharper

May 12, 2008, 1:55:45 AM5/12/08
I have an asp page (please don't ask me why), I would like to consume
a .net web services. What is the best way to consume the web service?
Is it using com component or using vbscript? Could the experts shead
some light into this dark area for me?
Thanks always.

DSK Chakravarthy

May 12, 2008, 9:41:51 AM5/12/08
First thing is first,

do you have the reference available for that web service. If you have the
reference of the webservice, create a component out of that web reference
and that as any other internal assembly.

HTH

"CSharper" <csha...@gmx.com> wrote in message

CSharper

May 12, 2008, 10:05:51 AM5/12/08
On May 12, 8:41 am, "DSK Chakravarthy" <dskch...@msn.com> wrote:
> First thing is first,
>
> do you have the reference available for that web service. If you have the
> reference of the webservice, create a component out of that web reference
> and that as any other internal assembly.
>
> HTH
>
> "CSharper" <cshar...@gmx.com> wrote in message

> >I have an asp page (please don't ask me why), I would like to consume
> > a .net web services. What is the best way to consume the web service?
> > Is it using com component or using vbscript? Could the experts shead
> > some light into this dark area for me?
> > Thanks always.

Actually that is what we are doing at present and I found an example
where I can do this with VBScript as well. Just wondering which is the
best way to do this and if you be kind enough to explain the pros and
cons.

Thanks,

DSK Chakravarthy

May 12, 2008, 10:17:14 AM5/12/08
VBScript.. you mean to say that invoking the web service from ClientSide
code?

Well, in that case, i recommend you to give attention about Asynchronous
calls. For your attention give a look at
http://www.ondotnet.com/pub/a/dotnet/2005/08/01/async_webservices.html

HTH

"CSharper" <csha...@gmx.com> wrote in message

CSharper

May 12, 2008, 10:27:42 AM5/12/08
On May 12, 9:17 am, "DSK Chakravarthy" <dskch...@msn.com> wrote:
> VBScript.. you mean to say that invoking the web service from ClientSide
> code?
>
> Well, in that case, i recommend you to give attention about Asynchronous
> calls. For your attention give a look athttp://www.ondotnet.com/pub/a/dotnet/2005/08/01/async_webservices.html
>
> HTH
>
> "CSharper" <cshar...@gmx.com> wrote in message

> > On May 12, 8:41 am, "DSK Chakravarthy" <dskch...@msn.com> wrote:
> >> First thing is first,
>
> >> do you have the reference available for that web service. If you have the
> >> reference of the webservice, create a component out of that web reference
> >> and that as any other internal assembly.
>
> >> HTH
>
> >> "CSharper" <cshar...@gmx.com> wrote in message

> > Actually that is what we are doing at present and I found an example
> > where I can do this with VBScript as well. Just wondering which is the
> > best way to do this and if you be kind enough to explain the pros and
> > cons.
>
> > Thanks,

Ok, now I get it, VBScript runs at the client side and the com
component runs in the server side... I guess that is the pro...

Arne Vajhøj

May 12, 2008, 9:48:50 PM5/12/08

You need something probably a COM component that can make
SOAP over HTTP calls.

The fact that the web service is written in .NET does not
mean anything for you.

Possible:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c943c0dd-ceec-4088-9753-86f052ec8450&DisplayLang=en

Arne