How To: Create an Internet Explorer button in .NET

Steven Van Dyke

Jul 29, 2003, 1:54:41 AM7/29/03
Using .NET/C#

I need to place a button on the IE toolbar that, when pressed, will invoke
my application and pass it the currect URL.Any examples of this out there?

Thanks,

Steve

Lion Shi

Jul 31, 2003, 10:10:19 AM7/31/03
Hello Steven,

To use add an Tool Button to IE's toolbar and invoke C# code with it, the
C# assembly has to been exposed as COM. Basacially, we need to take
following steps:

1. Write C# assembly and expose it as a COM library
2. Write the script for the Tool Button
3. Modify the registry to register the Tool Button

Here is a detailed tutorial for you:

Adding Toolbar Buttons
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/browser/ext/tutorials/button.asp

Here is another document about how to expose an assembly as a COM library:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpconpackagingassemblyf
orcom.asp

I hope this helps you.

Best regards,

Lion Shi [MSFT]
MCSE, MCSD
Microsoft Support Engineer

You assume all risk for your use. 2003 Microsoft Corporation. All rights
reserved.