Dataset Merge substitue

JJ

Jun 7, 2004, 11:31:14 AM6/7/04

I am calling a webservice to return a dataset thats been updated. Since Merge is not supported in the compact framework. What do you guys use instead in order to update the dataset on pocketpc ?

Thanks,
JJ

Ilya Tumanov [MS]

Jun 7, 2004, 5:09:00 PM6/7/04
You can develop for CF V2 which has merge functionality. V2 beta will be
out very soon.

If you have to go with V1, you can do merging manually.

Basic idea is to check each record by locating its equivalent in another
DataSet using primary key.
For example, if record exists in the local copy, but not in the DataSet
from WS, record has been deleted from the database (or added to the local
copy).
If it's unchanged in a local copy, it should be deleted. If it has been
changed or added, your business logic should decide what to do with it.

Same should be done for records in WS DataSet.
If record present in the WS DataSet, but not in the local copy, it should
be added.

Matching records in a local copy should be updated (if unchanged) with the
data from WS DataSet.
If it has been changed locally, business logic should resolve this conflict.

Best regards,

Ilya