Problem installing compact framework 2.0 on acer n35

yan.v...@gmail.com

Oct 29, 2006, 11:52:25 AM10/29/06
Hi, guys!
I have acer n35, trying to install compact framework 2.0 on it I've
received an error message: somthing like "this software is not
compatible for this device".
I saw that someone has the same problem but answer didn't help me much.
If anybody knows any workaround or some solution to this, please post
it to me.

Thank you,

---yav---

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

Oct 30, 2006, 10:52:03 AM10/30/06
Sorry, I don't know what an Acer n35 is. It's a Pocket PC? If so, what
version of the Pocket PC OS is it running? If it's a Windows CE 3.0 variant
(PPC2000, perhaps), .NET CF is not compatible with it.

Paul T.

<yan.v...@gmail.com> wrote in message

david....@seznam.cz

Nov 29, 2006, 6:11:29 AM11/29/06
> Sorry, I don't know what an Acern35is. It's a Pocket PC? If so, what

> version of the Pocket PC OS is it running?

Acer N35 is Microsoft Pocket PC ver. 4.20.0 (Build 14133) - at least my
is. I have the same problem - setup for .NET CF v2 recognizes it as an
incompatible device. I tried to install .NET CF v2 even from SD card in
device, but the same result.
Hope there is another solution apart from ROM upgrade
David

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

Nov 29, 2006, 11:18:53 AM11/29/06
It sounds like the device is not identifying itself correctly as a Pocket PC
2003 (which is what that works out to, I think). Contact Acer and complain
or you could try installing .NET CF 2.0SP1, just for grins.

Paul T.

<david....@seznam.cz> wrote in message

david....@seznam.cz

Nov 30, 2006, 7:08:43 AM11/30/06
No way...I already tried SP1 :(

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

Nov 30, 2006, 11:03:18 AM11/30/06
It does sound like the device is reporting itself as something else. You
could hard reset it, in case a registry problem has developed, causing the
device type to be reported incorrectly, too. It's annoying, but I don't
know any way to find out if it's really the device itself or something
you've done to it other than by returning it to factory default
configuration.

Paul T.

<david....@seznam.cz> wrote in message

david....@seznam.cz

Dec 1, 2006, 5:39:25 AM12/1/06
Unfortunately, even after hard reset with totally clean device .NET CF
v2 installation fails (not intended for this device, I tried also SP1).
I agree, that problem is probably wrong reporting from the device.

The only solution, that worked for me, was upgrade:
1. download
ftp://ftp.support.acer-euro.com/handheld/n35/osimage/n35_SE_Eboot
6.2.rar
and OS image according to your language (or use
n35_SE_v2.10.12_WWE_SD.rar - english)
2. erase SD card (do not format it, if you must, use FAT16, FAT 32
won´t work)
3. to the root of SD extract two files from
ftp://ftp.support.acer-euro.com/handheld/n35/osimage/n35_SE_Eboot
6.2.rar
4. put SD to the device, switch hard reset to position 1 (left)
5. hold power button an click hard reset back to position 2 (right)
while holding power button (e boot should deploy very quickly and write
COMPLETED)
6. switch hard reset to position 1, remove SD card, erase it, extract
to the root of SD all files from OS image
7. put SD back to the device, hold power button and switch hard reset
to position 2 (right) while holding power button - hold it for cca. 10
sec or more! "downloading img" should appear
8. wait for soft reset (for 3 minutes it seems,that nothing is
hapenning, be patient)
9. you are good to go - upgraded to PPC 4.21

After this upgrade, installation of .NET CF v2 is no trouble at
all-works just fine.

Warning, you are upgrading to your own risk ;) Known problems - some
noname SD cards with high capacity (over 1GB) won´t work for this
upgrade. You must get smaller one :)