Pocket Access and .NET CF 2.0

Robert Panther

Jan 26, 2006, 11:58:08 AM1/26/06
Hi there,

can anyone tell me under what conditions Pocket Access can be used with the
.NET Compact Framework.
If I have it right in my memory, there is a Windows Mobile 5 API providing
classes to use the Pocket Access format.

Do I need a Windows Mobile 5.0 device for this?
Does snychronizing via ActiveSync work?

Thanks,
Robert

Ilya Tumanov [MS]

Jan 26, 2006, 2:40:28 PM1/26/06
It can be used if it's installed on device and if you have purchased (or
written) ADO.Net provider for it.

Both are _not_ available on WM 5.0 as Pocket Access is depreciated and EOL.

However, it can be installed on to WM 5.0 separately and provider is
available from 3rd party:

http://www.inthehand.com/ADOCE.aspx

--
Best regards,

Ilya

*** Want to find answers instantly? Here's how... ***

1. Go to
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework?hl=en
2. Type your question in the text box near "Search this group" button.
3. Hit "Search this group" button.
4. Read answer(s).

"Robert Panther" <rpan...@web.de> wrote in message

Peter Foot [MVP]

Jan 27, 2006, 3:22:50 AM1/27/06

Our provider does not support .NETCF v2.0 or Windows Mobile 5.0. If you are
starting a new .NETCF 2.0 project you should not be looking at Pocket
Access, either use SQL Mobile or another third-party database engine.
Neither option will give you built in ActiveSync synchronisation but there
are third-party tools to help with that e.g. www.primeworks.pt

Peter

--
Peter Foot
Windows Embedded MVP

"Ilya Tumanov [MS]" <ily...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Robert Panther

Jan 27, 2006, 4:51:08 AM1/27/06

thank you so far for your answers.
But I remember some Microsoft people telling that the support for the CE DB
(which is just another name for the Pocket Access database format) will
again be available with Windows Mobile 5 and .NET CF 2.0.
Unfortunately I do not have any more details about this. Maybe this was just
a planned feature which was cancelled later by Microsoft.

Robert

"Robert Panther" <rpan...@web.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> [...]

Ginny Caughey [MVP]

Jan 27, 2006, 8:13:57 AM1/27/06
Robert,

The CeDB database was replaced by eDB for Windows Mobile 5.

--
Ginny Caughey
.NET Compact Framework MVP

"Robert Panther" <rpan...@web.de> wrote in message

MikeB

Jan 27, 2006, 9:17:02 AM1/27/06
Pocket Access is another layer on top of CEDB. You can use Pocket Access
on WM5 (there is currently no way to sync with Access on the desktop though)
but since they are replacing CEDB with EDB it would be unwise to start a new
project with Pocket Access. I sure wish we'd see a way to come out with new
stuff like EDB without breaking existing apps, but that is another thread
altogether.

Mike B.

In message <Oio8zcyI...@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, "Robert Panther"

--
Posted with Ink Spot (for PocketPC) from DejaVu Software, Inc.
Usenet wherever you are - http://www.dejavusoftware.com/

Bazinou

Feb 6, 2006, 10:48:04 AM2/6/06
Hi

"Both are _not_ available on WM 5.0 as Pocket Access is depreciated and EOL.

However, it can be installed on to WM 5.0 separately and provider is
available from 3rd party:"

You say Pocket Access can be install on to WM 5.0 separately. How ? Where can I download the install ? Does it make Pocket Access Synchronisation enabled in ActivSync ?

Thks for your help !!

---
Posted via www.DotNetSlackers.com

Wiggum

Feb 6, 2006, 11:03:41 AM2/6/06
>I sure wish we'd see a way to come out with new
>stuff like EDB without breaking existing apps, but that is another thread
>altogether.

Just another fine example of how Microsoft dicks developers around on a
constant basis.

MikeB

Feb 6, 2006, 12:56:52 PM2/6/06
You can install the ADOCE dll's (they were included with the Pocket PC 2003
SDK, I believe) but it does not enable ActiveSync sync on WM5 devices, sorry.

Mike B.

Bazinou

Feb 7, 2006, 3:29:02 AM2/7/06
Ok Mike, thxs for the info.

I heard rumor that says Microsoft will make available a
download to synchronise PocketAccess with ActivSync4 and
wm5 (see http://www.biomobility.com/faq.htm#ActiveSync4).

Does someone know something about that ?

"You can install the ADOCE dll's (they were included with the Pocket PC 2003
SDK, I believe) but it does not enable ActiveSync sync on WM5 devices, sorry.

Mike B."
---
Posted via www.DotNetSlackers.com

MikeB

Feb 7, 2006, 8:01:11 AM2/7/06
What you see there is the latest information. Nothing has been released yet.

MB