ASP.NET 2.0 Returns HTTP 404 on existing page

Peter Strřiman

Jul 25, 2005, 6:49:20 AM7/25/05
Hi.

I have a web project I have been working on, and it used to work, but now it
reports a 404 error on pages that do exist.
Even if I allow directory browsing on the web application and see the name
of the file I wish to see, and click it from there, it gives me a 404.

I tried removing .NET from the IIS and reinstalling it (aspnet_regiis -u
then -i). No help

By a google search, I can see that I'm not the only person with the problem,
but apparently, noone has the answer.

I'm using .NET verion 2.0.50215

Thanks in advance,
Peter Strřiman

Peter Strřiman

Jul 25, 2005, 7:04:41 AM7/25/05
I discovered one detail. If I modify web.config so that it's no longer
valid, I get a "correct error message" saying that the web.config is
invalid.

"Peter Strřiman" <peterst...@nospam.nospam> wrote in message

Peter Strřiman

Jul 25, 2005, 7:25:46 AM7/25/05
Argh

Found out the problem.

A small file named app_offline.htm had mysteriously appeared in my project.
The very existence of that file causes the web site to be taken offline.

Pete