typing delay in ie8

Rob MacFadyen

May 15, 2009, 2:34:01 PM5/15/09
Hi all,

I called support and their answer was "for IE8 there is no advanced support
available". Humm... not too pleased with that answer.

Here's the problem:

I have a .ASPX that produces a web page that includes a raft of input fields
including a few dropdowns and some text boxes. When viewed under IE8 the user
experiences long delays when typing into a text area (and CPU rails to 90+).

Googling "typing delay in ie8" found me this newsgroup references for the
exact same problem (a thread from microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general):
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general/browse_thread/thread/f84a7b9b084f7f14/9b3014ab14c60757?lnk=raot

What is especially nice about this thread is that the author provided
concrete minimal test cases. Check out:
http://www.eclink.com/ie8_issue_1.html
http://www.eclink.com/ie8_issue_2.html
http://www.eclink.com/ie8_issue_3.html
http://www.eclink.com/ie8_issue_4.html

And for an extreme examples:
http://www.eclink.com/ie8_issue_5.html (meta tag to force standards mode)
http://www.eclink.com/ie8_issue_6.html (meta tag to force ie7 mode)

Also a nice youtube video of the problem in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suVjJBymUTY

So... other than forcing the page to IE7 mode (which causes a host of other
unrelated issues) is there a work around?

Is this a known issue in IE8? Is there a KB Article? Will this be addressed
in a monthly patch?

I'm a bit annoyed that there doesn't seem to be an avenue to report this
problem into MS. I even asked "what if I pay" and the answer was "no advanced
support is available for IE8" (it's not fully released apparently?). Grrr....

Thanks,

Rob

bruce barker

May 15, 2009, 10:08:17 PM5/15/09
i'd report to the ie team blog (though they probably know):

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/default.aspx

but would not expect a quick fix. in your case, if its a real problem
(not just an annoyance) for your users, suggest they can switch to a
different browser.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)