The current configuration system does not support user-scoped settings

Steve Kershaw

Apr 11, 2007, 3:54:13 PM4/11/07

I have a problem in which I'm trying to access a method in a .DLL from
an ASP.Net web page (written in C#). I keep on getting the error "The
current configuration system does not support user-scoped settings".

I've done some research into this problem and I've found out that the
solution has something to do with the ConfigurationManager.AppSettings
for settings, or Profiles for per-user configutation in ASP.Net 2.0.
However, I don't know where to find the ConfigurationManager! I've
looked in Website/ASP.Net configuration and Tools/Options +
Environment and I can't find it!

I can't seem to find a handle on what to do about this! Can somebody
help me!

Thanks so very much!

Steve

Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]

Apr 11, 2007, 4:04:03 PM4/11/07
Just set a reference to the System.Configuration assembly and
ConfigurationManager will magically appear.
Peter

--
Site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Short urls & more: http://ittyurl.net

Steve Kershaw

Apr 11, 2007, 4:16:48 PM4/11/07
On Apr 11, 2:04 pm, Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]
> > Steve- Hide quoted text -

Thanks so much for your help!

OK,
So I now have the Configuration Manager, what do I do?
I see "Project", "Configuration" (Debug), "Platform" (.NET) and
"Build" columns but no AppSettings seems to be available. Help!!!

Juan T. Llibre

Apr 11, 2007, 4:21:09 PM4/11/07
The solution was posted by Peter Bromberg a few days ago :

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet/browse_thread/thread/8386bbf01de461b5/6d338d6f8be72265?lnk=st&q=%22current+configuration+system+does+not+support+user-scoped+settings%22&rnum=1&hl=en#6d338d6f8be72265

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
===================================
"Steve Kershaw" <steve_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Steve Kershaw

Apr 11, 2007, 4:53:17 PM4/11/07
On Apr 11, 2:21 pm, "Juan T. Llibre" <nomailrepl...@nowhere.com>
wrote:

> The solution was posted by Peter Bromberg a few days ago :
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspn...

> Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
> asp.net faq :http://asp.net.do/faq/
> foros de asp.net, en español :http://asp.net.do/foros/
> ==================================="Steve Kershaw" <steve_kers...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > I have a problem in which I'm trying to access a method in a .DLL from
> > an ASP.Net web page (written in C#). I keep on getting the error "The
> > current configuration system does not support user-scoped settings".
>
> > I've done some research into this problem and I've found out that the
> > solution has something to do with the ConfigurationManager.AppSettings
> > for settings, or Profiles for per-user configutation in ASP.Net 2.0.
> > However, I don't know where to find the ConfigurationManager! I've
> > looked in Website/ASP.Net configuration and Tools/Options +
> > Environment and I can't find it!
>
> > I can't seem to find a handle on what to do about this! Can somebody
> > help me!
>
> > Thanks so very much!
>
> > Steve- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for your help.

But where is this posting? I searched clear back to the beginning of
March for Peter Bromberg's posting on this but I just can't see it.
Can you give me a link?

Thanks again.
Steve

Juan T. Llibre

Apr 11, 2007, 6:24:42 PM4/11/07
re:
!>> The solution was posted by Peter Bromberg a few days ago :

!> But where is this posting? I searched clear back to the beginning of
!> March for Peter Bromberg's posting on this but I just can't see it.
!> Can you give me a link?

Oops, I meant "a few minutes ago".

I've warned my fingers not to post on their own any more.

<chuckle>

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
===================================

"Steve Kershaw" <steve_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]

Apr 11, 2007, 6:56:01 PM4/11/07
Steve,

ConfigurationManager.AppSettings represents the NameValue collection of the
entries you have in your <appSettings> web.config (or xx.exe.config)
configuration file. You can access individual elements with:
ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["connectionString"]

to get the string value.
Peter