Visual Web Developer Express How do I build Code-behind into DLL in bin folder

teliot

Nov 25, 2005, 1:04:46 AM11/25/05
I'm just starting to use VWD Express. Supposedly, if I use a separate
file (code behind) for my web forms, it should build them into a DLL
into the Bin folder. However, no bin folder was automatically created
when I create the project, nor when I build the website. And no DLL
was placed anywhere in my website folder. How do I build the
code-behind files so they would be in the bin folder???

Ken Cox

Nov 25, 2005, 2:44:10 AM11/25/05
That isn't support in the Express version.

See the Prerequisites here:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/1y1404zt.aspx

"If you want to deploy a finished Web site to a server, you can use the
Publish Web Site utility that is included with the Microsoft Visual Web
Developer Web development tool. "

"The Visual Web Developer Express edition does not support the Publish Web
Site utility."

Perhaps you could do this with the compiler and a command-line script. Not
sure.

"teliot" <drum...@gmail.com> wrote in message

teliot

Nov 25, 2005, 4:34:16 PM11/25/05
I see, no wonder I couldn't find that function anywhere. Thank you for
your clarification.

I did however find a way to compile the entire website using command
line tool "aspnet_compiler.exe" which eliminates all code files and put
them all in DLL assemblies. It eventually worked out for the best,
since this method conceals all codes and prevent copying or tampering
of the source and should run faster since the server won't have to
compile the App_Code folder.

teliot

Nov 26, 2005, 1:08:28 PM11/26/05
I see, but in Microsoft's book "Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005
Express Edition - Build a Web Site Now!" I found this quote:

"If your program source code resides anywhere else (referring to
anywhere other than the app_code folder or inline), you'll need to
choose Build Web Site from the Build menu, and then be sure to upload
the resulting /bin folder along with the rest of your site. You won't,
however, need to upload our program source files; this may reduce the
risk of theft or tampering."

And that's why I assume that the "Build Web Site" command will
automatically generate the /bin folder for me.

But in the meantime, I did manage to use aspnet_compile.exe to compile
the entire site into a target folder, then copy the content to my
actual website.

Thanks.

Ken Cox

Nov 26, 2005, 7:42:53 PM11/26/05
Hmmmm. You might want to check with the author of the book. The current crop
of books were written based on beta 2. You may have found a change in the
release product that the authors couldn't or didn't know about.

Ken

"teliot" <drum...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Alan Silver

Nov 28, 2005, 6:46:00 PM11/28/05
>Hmmmm. You might want to check with the author of the book. The current crop
>of books were written based on beta 2. You may have found a change in the
>release product that the authors couldn't or didn't know about.

It's not the only one. That book has a few things like that in it. Not
very impressive given that MS is giving it away free to people who
register VWD. You'd think they would have updated it.

--
Alan Silver

Ken Cox

Nov 30, 2005, 12:19:45 AM11/30/05
If it is an electronic version, it should have been updated. If it is
printed, keep in mind that the lead time for a print book is several months.

The problem is that people want the books to appear on the same date as the
software, even though the software is changing up to the last week or so
before the release. A book can't keep up.

"Alan Silver" <alan-...@nospam.thanx> wrote in message

Alan Silver

Nov 30, 2005, 10:43:05 AM11/30/05
>If it is an electronic version, it should have been updated. If it is
>printed, keep in mind that the lead time for a print book is several months.

It is an electronic version, that's why I made the comment. Obviously a
printed version couldn't have been changed that easily. The PDF file
could, and should, have been changed.

Ta ra