Show the progress of an asp.net page while loading..

jcfilth

Jan 15, 2004, 5:18:05 AM1/15/04
Hello,

I have created an asp.net web page with 3 datagrids. Every datagrid
binds to a diferent sql query, against a sql server. I first bind
one, then the other and then the last, all using code on Page_Load
event.

When I load this page, the navigator doesn't show anything until the
page load finish. Then I can see the results of the 3 datagrids.

What I want is to bind the first datagrid, show the results and
continue binding the second one, show the results and bind the
third.

In CLASSIC ASP I used Response.Buffer=true at the beginning of my code
and Response.Flush every time i wanted to show the results. I've
tried to use this commands with asp.net but it doesn't function.

Is it possible to do this? How?

Thank you very much.
Jc

http://www.usenet.com

Hermit Dave

Jan 15, 2004, 6:33:31 AM1/15/04
nope what you want to do is not possible...

you are binding the datagirds in page load event and you want to render them
at one at a time so that user can see some data...

but webcontrols are not rendered untill page_load is finished... any if any
events are handled. It is at this point that render is called.. and one of
the calls it
rendering the child objects.. this is where actual data is written to the
response.outputstream

you only other option is to not use datagrid rather use classic
Response.Write and output your own html for the grid generation (table like
we used to use in classic asp)

(or what you could potentially do is reduce the amount of data that is
fetched... use paging... query only for records you need (custom paging)
even resort to caching if it helps..

--

Regards,

HD
"jcfilth" <jcf...@navegalia-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message

jcfilth

Jan 15, 2004, 10:18:49 AM1/15/04
Thank you very much, Hermit Dave, now I understand.

> Hermit Davewrote:

nope what you want to do is not possible...

> you are binding the datagirds in page load event and you want to
render them
> at one at a time so that user can see some data...
>
> but webcontrols are not rendered untill page_load is finished... any
if any
> events are handled. It is at this point that render is called.. and
one of
> the calls it
> rendering the child objects.. this is where actual data is written
to the
> response.outputstream
>
> you only other option is to not use datagrid rather use classic
> Response.Write and output your own html for the grid generation
(table like
> we used to use in classic asp)
>
> (or what you could potentially do is reduce the amount of data that
is
> fetched... use paging... query only for records you need (custom
paging)
> even resort to caching if it helps..
>
> --
>
> Regards,

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Jan 15, 2004, 7:11:16 PM1/15/04
You might want to check out this technique:

Progress Bar in Web Application

http://www.myblogroll.com/Articles/progressbar/

and this one:

http://www.ddconsult.com/blogs/illuminati/archives/000089.html