Running ASP.NET webapp from a share on anaother computer fails

Leo

Jan 24, 2003, 10:27:11 AM1/24/03

I'm trying to run an ASP.NET application from a share (on another computer)
in stead of from the local wwwroot-directory. When I run from the local
wwwroot-directory or from any other directory on the LOCAL machine
everything works fine. When I map the virtual directory to the SHARE I get a
message that the web.config could not be loaded.

I tried to configure the security settings for .NET framework as FULL TRUST
for the INTRANET, but that doesn' seem to make any difference.

Does anyone have a solution?

Leo.

Curt_C [MVP]

Jan 24, 2003, 11:15:02 AM1/24/03

using UNC pathing or MAPPED drives? Try UNC, otherwise you need to make sure
that the mapping exists for the user that IIS is connecting as.

Owner/Lead Designer, DF-Software
http://www.Darkfalz.com
..Offering free scripts & code snippits for everyone...
"Leo" <nos...@newsgroups.com> wrote in message

Bassel Tabbara [MSFT]

Jan 24, 2003, 11:41:13 AM1/24/03

Hello Leo,

To resolve this problem make sure to follow the steps below to give the
remote share "FullTrust."

1. On the web server, Open the Microsoft .NET Framework Configuration
from Administrative Tools.

2. Expand Runtime Security Policy->Machine->Code Groups.

3. Right-Click on All_Code and select new.

4. Choose "Create a new code group", and give it a relevant name such
as the name of the applications share then select Next.

5. On the next dialog choose URL from the drop-down list

6. In the URL dialog put the path to the share in this exact format
"file:////\\computername\sharename\*" where computername is the name of
the computer hosting the remote share, and sharename is the name of the
share.

7. Click Next, and on the next page choose "Use an existing permission
set, and choose Fulltrust from the drop-down list.

8. Click Next and then Finish.

It is Important in this configuration that the account that the ASP.NET
worker process is run under has sufficient permissions to the remote share.

Thanks,
Bassel Tabbara
Microsoft, ASP.NET

--------------------
| From: "Leo" <nos...@newsgroups.com>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| Subject: Running ASP.NET webapp from a share on anaother computer fails
| Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 16:27:11 +0100

Leo

Jan 27, 2003, 3:54:21 AM1/27/03
Hi Bassel,

Thanks for your response. I created the code-group as you described, but
still no permission (could not load web.config, which IS present). Your last
remark about the ASP.NET worker process could be the problem. The webserver
is Server1 and the file-server is Server2. These servers are in a workgroup
(not a domain). I was wondering which conditions should be met in order to
give the ASP.NET account on Sever1 rights to the share on Server2 where the
ASP.NET files are located.

Even when I give the Everyone group (all) rights to the share and the files
it points to (ASP.NET files) on Server2, I still can't run the ASP.NET
application through the webserver on Server1.

If you need more information, please let me know. Thanks for your help,

Leo.

"Bassel Tabbara [MSFT]" <bas...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Bassel Tabbara [MSFT]

Jan 27, 2003, 1:02:49 PM1/27/03
Hello Leo,

To allow the aspnet account to access the remote server, you need to
duplicate the aspnet account on server 2.
Duplicating this account will require to set a custom password even on
server 1. By setting a custom password
you need to enter the password in process model section in the
machine.config file. Since the default setting is
autogenerate, you need to set the password accordingly.

Make sure that the ASPNET account has permission to access all of the
necessary directories and files to start
the Aspnet_wp.exe process and to serve the ASP.NET pages.
For additional information about what permissions you must grant to this
account, click the article number below to view the article
in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=317012

Thanks,
Bassel Tabbara
Microsoft, ASP.NET

--------------------
| From: "Leo" <nos...@newsgroups.com>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

| Subject: Re: Running ASP.NET webapp from a share on anaother computer
fails
| Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 09:54:21 +0100

Leo

Jan 28, 2003, 4:29:02 AM1/28/03
Bassel,

Thanks for your response! It 'll probably not only solve my problem, but
also provides me with useful information about ASP.NET security. I'll dive
deeper into that topic as soon as I can find the time. Thanks again.

Leo.

"Bassel Tabbara [MSFT]" <bas...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Brian Kitt

Feb 11, 2003, 3:33:41 PM2/11/03
I have seen similar posts on this newsgroup, but the
solution does not appear to work for me. For sake of
clarity, here are the details of my problem:

Server - Windows 2000 Server with SP3 and all maintenance.
Client - Windows 2000 Professional with SP3 and all
maintenance.
.NET - Visual Studio .NET Professional

I have an application using .NET on my server, but when I
try to execute it, I always get the 'Server Application
Unavailable' message.

I look in event viewer, and get the ASP.NET 1082 message
that is detailed in Microsoft Article Q315158.

I have every reason to believe that this is the problem I
am having, but there is one problem. My 'machine.config'
file seems to be a different format than what Microsoft is
referring to. I have tried everything I can think of, but
can't seem to get username and password
in 'machine.config' in a way that pleases IIS.

Here is the 'fix' that I cut from Microsoft article
Q315158.

In the <processModel> section of the Machine.config file,
change the userName and the password attributes to the
name and the password of the account that you created in
step 1. For example:
userName="DomainName\ASPUSER" password="ASPUSERpassword"

As I said, I do believe this will fix it. However, here
is how my 'machine.config' has the '<processmodel>'
section laid out.
<section name="processModel"
type="System.Web.Configuration.ProcessModelConfigurationHan
dler, System.Web, Version=1.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"
allowDefinition="MachineOnly"/>

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Rad

Feb 11, 2003, 6:22:54 PM2/11/03
You're looking at the wrong place.. keep scrolling further down in that file
;)

"Brian Kitt" <Brian...@i-structure.com> wrote in message

Brian Kitt

Feb 13, 2003, 6:21:32 PM2/13/03
Thanks very much. That took care of the problem, and I now have ASP.NET
working correctly on my server.

I do have another similar related issue. I have a Windows XP laptop and I
cannot get ASP.NET to work on that machine. It is a client machine normally
attached to server mentioned below. I get no errors, but curiously, ASPNET
userid is not defined to the machine. Any ideas?