Folder Properties: Security Tab Missing

Doug Holland

Dec 18, 2002, 8:03:58 PM12/18/02
When I right click on any folder and select Properties; the Security tab is
missing from the Properties dialog.

It appears to be there on some Windows XP machines; and not on others?
Maybe it was removed with a security patch / service pack install???

I need to grant access privildges to the ASP.NET process to the folder.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Doug

Craig Deelsnyder

Dec 18, 2002, 8:47:57 PM12/18/02
The Security tab does not show up if your user ID does not have that
privilege on that machine (usually Administrators, etc.). If I login as an
admin, I can see it. If not, as just say a User, then I can't.

You can change the user account that ASP.NET runs under in the
machine.config file. Although the following doc may not apply, it explains
how to change it:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wss/wss/_ex
ch2k_running_asp_net_on_a_dc.asp

Craig Deelsnyder
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET

"Doug Holland" <doug.h...@precisionobjects.com> wrote in message

Doug Knox MS-MVP

Dec 18, 2002, 8:50:57 PM12/18/02
The security tab will only appear on NTFS drives. It also doesn't appear in XP Home.
--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows XP/ Windows Smart Display
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes

Doug Holland

Dec 18, 2002, 9:06:27 PM12/18/02
Hi Doug

Thanks for the reply.

It is an NTFS drive running under Windows XP Professional SP1 (all updates
from Windows Update applied also); and the username I'm using has
Administrative privilidges.

Regards,

Doug Holland

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dk...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Doug Knox MS-MVP

Mark((0o0))

Dec 18, 2002, 9:58:28 PM12/18/02
To get the same file security as XP pro in Home try this: (you have to be
the administrator)

> Click on the Start button
> Then Run
> Type shrpubw
> Chose the folder whose permissions you want to change and give the share a
name
> Click next, now you can chose custom if you want to have full options.

Tip: In order to set file permission in windows XP Home, the file system
must already be converted to NTFS.

Hope this helps ((0o0))