Device Updates for ASP.NET 2.0

Nadav Popplewell

Feb 5, 2007, 3:52:01 AM2/5/07
Does anybody know if Microsoft is going to release device updates for ASP.NET
2.0?

And if not, is there any place we can get .browser files for new mobile
phones?

Thanks,
Nadav

Peter van Rees

Feb 5, 2007, 4:33:51 AM2/5/07

Nadav, check out this discussion: http://groups.google.com/group/
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.mobile/browse_frm/thread/
9ffa973a7282e7dd?hl=nl

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Feb 5, 2007, 5:33:27 AM2/5/07
Hello Nadav,

I have used to help contact some product team guys but haven't got any
update on the device udpate on ASP.NET MOBILE 2.0. I'll perform some
further query to the ASP.NET mobile device update team to see whether there
is any update information.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

Aaron

Feb 5, 2007, 11:02:15 AM2/5/07
On Feb 5, 5:33 am, stch...@online.microsoft.com (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
wrote:

That would be fantastic. I've exhausted all of my resources trying to
get the same answer. Please keep us posted! This is the number one
drawback of MOBILE 2.0 if you ask me. I am considering changing
platforms because I fear what the support will be in a year or two.

I anxiously await your findings.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Feb 5, 2007, 10:20:12 PM2/5/07
Thanks for your input Aaron,

Yes, I've also noticed that the devcie list on ASP.NET official site has
been idle for years without any update. Sure, I'll try best to query
information on this and will keep you getting the latest update on this
here.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lea

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Feb 8, 2007, 7:02:59 AM2/8/07
Hello Nadav,

I just got confirm from the ASP.NET UI framwork team's dev engineer.
Unfortunately, currently there is no plan for shipping out new devices
update for new mobile devices. Actually, the entire support strategry of
ASP.NET Mobile application has changed due to certain non-technical
reasons(such as adoption in the market and the opportunities for other ISV
partners).

For Mobile application development, start from ASP.NET 2.0, it will
provider a flexible (adapter based) rendering mechaism that can let
developer provide controls that can correctly render different output
according to different client platform. Microsoft won't frequently provide
entire work on release new mobile control set(like the MMIT).

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

Aaron

Feb 8, 2007, 8:42:53 AM2/8/07
On Feb 8, 7:02 am, stch...@online.microsoft.com (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
wrote:

Yeah, that's the same thing I've been told at every turn also. What
they don't tell you is that without updates you can't even tell the
client platform to be able to correctly render different output. It
looks like they just aren't interested in the mobile framework any
longer. I guess I will have to change platforms. Too bad really,
this is the first time the framework fell short.

This is not a good sign for Mobile Dev in .Net.

Steven, thank you very much for taking the time to find an answer. It
is unfortunate it is the same line they are feeding everyone.