Manipulating data between data adapters

John

Aug 28, 2006, 12:31:46 AM8/28/06
Hi

I have two data adapters bound to two separate tables. How can I;

1. Loop through all records one by one in one of them while reading column
values, and

2. Insert a record from data adapter A into data adapter B

via code?

Thanks

Regards

Cor Ligthert [MVP]

Aug 28, 2006, 12:49:18 AM8/28/06
John,

Don't call those things DataAdapters. It are DataSets, to be more precise
Strongly Typed DataSets.

A datarow in a table has a reference set to that table in the datarow. That
is needed to know the description of the items which are in the Columns
collection, even if it is not in the table.

As well is there often not one row, but two rows, the original one and the
current one in a datatable.

All this makes it difficult to pull a row from one table and to place it in
the other.

The receiving table to be a clone of the sending one.

Therefore it is mostly only possible to create a datarow in whatever way in
the new table and than to fill the items for that.

For that I like very much the loaddatarow from the datatable
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.data.datatable.loaddatarow.aspx

Others like more the ItemArray property from the datarow
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.data.datarow.itemarray.aspx

I hope this gives an idea,

Cor

"John" <Jo...@nospam.infovis.co.uk> schreef in bericht

Miha Markic [MVP C#]

Aug 28, 2006, 3:18:27 AM8/28/06
Hi John,

I would use two commands and two connections.
One command should read data while the other should write.
But you'll need two connections - one per each command as reading needs a
conneciton opened all the time.
--
Miha Markic [MVP C#, INETA Country Leader for Slovenia]
RightHand .NET consulting & development www.rthand.com

"John" <Jo...@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message
> [...]

William (Bill) Vaughn

Aug 28, 2006, 12:30:31 PM8/28/06
Ah no. Do not use ADO.NET for this (or any data access query interface). Use
an INSERT to move the rows on the server (the database engine). Don't bring
rows to your client to do bulk updates.

--
William (Bill) Vaughn