User-Level Security in Access

michael

Apr 27, 2002, 7:17:31 PM4/27/02
I can't seem to get a connection object to test
successfully when the target is an .mdb file which has
user-level security. I always get the same exception:

Cannot start your application. The workgroup information
file is missing or opened exclusively by another user.

I'm sure that Access is not open, that I have the correct
ID/PW, and that the ID has the correct permissions.

Is there a way to work with an .mdb file with user-level
security through VB.NET?

Andy Baron

Apr 28, 2002, 6:59:08 PM4/28/02
Be sure that the Windows account that your code is running under has
permissions to the directory containing your workgroup file. In
ASP.NET, this would be the local ASPNET account on the Web server. It
could be that the problem is that Windows security isn't allowing you
to create the ldb file for the workgroup (system) database.

-- Andy

In message <358401c1ee41$b48981c0$3aef2ecf@TKMSFTNGXA09> michael

michael

Apr 28, 2002, 10:44:06 PM4/28/02
I assumed that the account that the code ran under was
the account that I logged into windows with(i.e. my login
name and ID). If that's the case I should have
appropriate permissions.

The problem is occurring in Visual Studio (VB) .NET.
Under the data connections tab, I'm trying to create and
test a connection to an .mdb file which is protected by
user-level security. When I try to test the connection,
using the name and PW that I know work when I open the DB
from Access, I get the error: Cannot start your

application. The workgroup information file is missing or

opened exclusively by another user. I've tried all the
combinations of tricks that I could think of. Help

Michael

>.

Ramesh

Apr 29, 2002, 9:59:17 AM4/29/02
Hello Michael,
You should be able to specify the workgroup file info in the connection
string as follows

"Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Password=dianegal;User ID=myUser;Data
Source=D:\db2.mdb;Persist Security Info=True;Jet OLEDB:System
database=d:\system.mdw;Jet OLEDB:Database Password=MyPwd"

If you are using the Data Link Properties dialog to create the connection
string as you do in your server explorer.
In the "All" tab you should see an entry for Jet OLEDB:System database
Point it to your system.mdw file. By default the file is called system.mdw,
unless you created a new workgroup file.

Hope this helps.

Ramesh Thyagarajan
Microsoft Developer support.

http://www.microsoft.com/security.