ClickOnce Store metadata "AppType" is not valid

kmdigilio

Feb 8, 2008, 2:44:02 PM2/8/08
I am using .NET2.0 and ClickOnce to deploy my apps. I am deploying to
primarily XP Pro SP2 and XP Pro 64 bit. Three machines out of hundreds have
had this problem. I do not know the cause, but I do have a solution.

It turns out if you simply recreate the user profile i.e. Log Off, Rename
'\Documents And Settings\Kevin' to '\Documents And Settings\Kevin_Old', and
Log in again, the error goes away.

This is a very undesirable workaround. Can someone at please help ?!?

kmdigilio

Mar 11, 2008, 4:40:00 PM3/11/08
Is there no one out there that can help me?

Maybe I need to add more detail?

I am using .NET2.0, VS2005 and ClickOne to deploy my windows forms app over
HTTP. On about 10 XP Pro SP2 machines, when running the app they receive the
"Application Cannot Be Started" error and when I dig into the details I find
the error message

'Store metadata "AppType" is not valid'.

See my previous post for the workaround we are using. This workaround is a
HUGE problem for my clients.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

russel...@gmail.com

Mar 24, 2008, 12:54:45 PM3/24/08
On Feb 8, 2:44 pm, kmdigilio <kmdigi...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

Give this a try:

In control panel --> Regional and language settings --> Regional
Options tab, change the language to english(australia) and apply the
change, then change it back to English(United States) and apply. Once
you reboot your PC you will be able to install the app. This fixes
something in the registry settings, not sure what though...

Utah@discussions.microsoft.com Johnny Utah

kmdigilio

Mar 25, 2008, 9:12:01 AM3/25/08
After spending many hours with MS Support we have determined that the RegKey
"AppType" buried in here
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Deployment\SideBySide\2.0\PackageMetadata

The AppType is a few levels deeper and specifically related to the installed
application. MS Support had me delete the AppType key and that seemed to fix
it. But this is also a difficult workaround to sell to my clients. I will
try your suggestion above and report back. Thank You both for you comments.

kmdigilio

Mar 25, 2008, 9:14:13 AM3/25/08
Your suggestion is the exact method I use to correct a corrupt regkey
'sPositiveSign' found here
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International