End User Recovery not working

Bryce

Nov 13, 2008, 4:18:23 PM11/13/08
I am trying to setup end user recovery with little success. I am running DPM
2007 on a Server 2008 box, our domain controller is on Server 2003. I first
ran DPMADSchemaExtension.exe on the DPM server, it said active directory
configured successfully. Next checked the user recovery box and waited a day
for the ad to update. Nothing. Next I ran DPMADSchemaExtension.exe on our
domain box, with another conformation. Still nothing. I assume that if end
user recovery is working the end user will see a pervious version tab in the
properties of protected folders. This tab has yet to appear. What could I be
doing wrong?

Bryce

Nov 13, 2008, 4:36:16 PM11/13/08
Update... Based on help from another post...

If you've performed and still not seeing these shares.
Check in ADSIEdit.msc snap-in whether
MS-ShareMapConfiguration entry exists under path Domain-><Domain
Name>->System.
Check in "Active Directory Users and Computers" snap-in whether
MS-ShareMapConfiguration entry exists under path <Domain Name>->System.

If MS-ShareMapConfiguration entry exists at both these places check
if DPM Server, for which you configured End User Recovery has "Sepcial
Permissions" Added for
MS-ShareMapConfiguration entry at both places

I check and every item stated above is in our domain. Still not seeing the
Previous Version tab.

Zeringue

Nov 13, 2008, 11:38:00 PM11/13/08
If you are attempting to use EUR with xp/2003 clients you will also have to
install the VSS Update on the clients, a completed recovery point has to be
made, and also you have to backup the shares. VISTA/ws08 the update is not
required.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903234/ is the link to the vss update
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/895536 talks about what is needed for EUR

Please note, EUR has some wierd issue with very long share names, 80+
characters from the DPM server. \\DPMserver\shares are greater than 80
characters you may have issues.

If you have not already ensure you have installed the latest Update Rollup
for DPM. SP1 is due out end of december i am told by MS.

Bryce

Nov 14, 2008, 9:37:02 AM11/14/08
I tried to install the update, but said wrong service pack version. I'm on
SP3 so I assume this update is included in SP3. There has been several
complete recovery with no "previous version"

Suhail Khan [MSFT]

Nov 14, 2008, 3:11:36 PM11/14/08
This update is not required for Windows XP SP3 and Windows 2003 SP2 onwards.

In your mail you didn't explicitly mentioned "protected share".
Are you protecting folder or share?
"End User Reocvery" is available only for shares.
Even if you're protecting share, to see the "End User Recovery" tab you'll
have to a access that folder
using UNC path instead of accessing it as folder.

If you're doing everything right,
Can you check if any recovery point got created after "End User Recovery"
was enabled?
Can you check on DPM Server if any share corresponding to protected Share
got created?
If corresponding dpmshare exists, can you see previous versions on that
share?

--
Suhail Khan [MSFT]

"Bryce" <Br...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Bryce

Nov 14, 2008, 3:39:01 PM11/14/08
Thanks

My problem was I was trying EUR with a non-shared folder, and even with a
shared folder I did not realize that you need to access the folder via UNC
path. I scoured the documentation looking for this explanation with no luck,
was this ever explained in any MS documentation? Also will SP1 allow non
shared folders to work with EUR, and to be able to recover the folders via
explorer and not a UNC path?

Madhan S [MSFT]

Nov 15, 2008, 8:51:21 AM11/15/08
EUR is designed to work only with shares. This limitation is not from DPM
but from Windows server itself.

Thanks
Madhan S

"Bryce" <Br...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

RemyMaza

Apr 8, 2010, 3:24:01 PM4/8/10
Since this works with only shares, can I open the C$ or the D$ share and get
to the shadow copies that way too? That's how shadow copies work when hosted
server side, but I haven't been successful with my attempts when using that
approach. Does that feature not work?

Thanks,
Matt B.

Praveen D [MSFT]

Apr 13, 2010, 7:35:49 AM4/13/10
Using c$ or d$ don't work for end-user recovery. It works only for
actual shares created by administrator other than driveletter$ kind of
shares.

Thanks,
Praveen D [MSFT]

"RemyMaza" <Remy...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message