Forwarded emails with large attachments tracked in CRM via Outlook

Daniel Johnson, Jr.

Jun 3, 2010, 10:49:43 AM6/3/10
I have a question about attachments in emails that are tracked in
Microsoft CRM 4.0.

When we use the Outlook Client for CRM and click Track in CRM or Set
Regarding on the toolbar, what happens to the attachments as users
forward the emails in Outlook to multiple people? Does CRM store a
single reference to the attachment, or are there multiple copies made?

Thanks in advance!

Daniel Johnson, Jr.
Cincinnati, Ohio

LeonTribe

Jun 10, 2010, 10:17:23 PM6/10/10
On Jun 4, 12:49 am, "Daniel Johnson, Jr." <danimal0...@gmail.com>
wrote:

I believe it creates multiple instances as attachments are effectively
stored as notes and notes can only be attached to one record, not
multiple.

Leon Tribe
Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog
http://leontribe.blogspot.com/
or hear me tweet @leontribe

Daniel Johnson, Jr.

Jun 15, 2010, 5:41:51 PM6/15/10
> Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my bloghttp://leontribe.blogspot.com/

> or hear me tweet @leontribe

CRM stores the attachment multiple times in the SQL database. Did a
test to figure out what happens.

1. From personal GMail, sent email with an attachment 'creepy-surgical-
mask.jpg' to my work email address, which is in my test CRM
organization.
2. Received email. Clicked Track in CRM on Outlook toolbar, and set
regarding a particular CRM record.
3. Forwarded this email to 4 other users in my test CRM org
4. In Outlook clicked View in CRM to see the CRM record for the email.
5. CRM noted that the email address was not associated with a Contact.
Chose a Contact to associate it with. Saved record.
6. Clicked link in Regarding to open related CRM record.
7. Clicked History. Saw two records: one for initial tracked email;
one for forwarded email.
8. Opened CRM SQL database.
9. select * from ActivityMimeAttachment where FileName='creepy-
surgical-mask.jpg'
10. Noticed two records with distinct ActivityMimeAttachmentId's.
Body field contains textual representation of 'creepy-surgical-
mask.jpg'.

So, if you do not want to track the attachment multiple times in CRM,
remove it from the email when you forward to others.

Related blog post: http://danieljohnsonjr.com/main/e-mails-with-attachments-tracked-in-microsoft-crm-4-0/?ref=mscrmgroup

Make it a great day!

Daniel Johnson, Jr.,
Cincinnati, Ohio