How can I tell if this person currently certified?

1 view

Who Me

Oct 25, 2001, 3:14:13 PM10/25/01
Someone has just infomred me that they have an MCP and have given me a
card from MS stating that they are an MCP specialiast with an ID
number.

Is there any way that I can look up the number to establish whether
the certificate is current.

It would be awkward at the moment to challenge the person to present
the certificate.

Cheers
D.

DEMAN Thierry (MCSE 2000, MCDBA)

Oct 25, 2001, 4:19:07 PM10/25/01
Hi.

You can ask the person to show you his MCP transcript on the MCP Secured web
site!

Bye.

--
Thierry DEMAN-BARCELŇ. (MCSE2000) NORMAND INFORMATIQUE
http://www.normand-info.fr

"Who Me" <yeah...@microsoft.com> wrote in message

Bill B

Oct 27, 2001, 4:04:42 AM10/27/01
You can tie him up with stones, throw him in the water and if he floats he's
an MCP.

"DEMAN Thierry (MCSE 2000, MCDBA)" <tdeman...@normand-info.fr> wrote in
message news:eXKWPRZXBHA.1904@tkmsftngp03...

Who Me

Oct 28, 2001, 2:09:27 PM10/28/01
So there's nowhere where *I* can go to confirm the guys creds ... I
find that amazing

On Sat, 27 Oct 2001 01:04:42 -0700, "Bill B" <bi...@bottlegarden.com>

Bill B

Oct 28, 2001, 5:21:15 PM10/28/01
I know it's shitty, but that's the way it is. Either you ask him for his
certificate or ask him for his card. The card is just like a credit card so
he should have it on him in his wallet. Other than that there is no way.
You'd think there would be a database for employers to look them up, but
there isn't.
Bill

"Who Me" <yeah...@microsoft.com> wrote in message

Who Me

Oct 28, 2001, 7:20:15 PM10/28/01
On Sun, 28 Oct 2001 14:21:15 -0800, "Bill B" <bi...@bottlegarden.com>
wrote:

>I know it's shitty, but that's the way it is. Either you ask him for his
>certificate or ask him for his card. The card is just like a credit card so
>he should have it on him in his wallet. Other than that there is no way.
>You'd think there would be a database for employers to look them up, but
>there isn't.

oh I've got his card and number - but that doesn't help me tell if
he's expired or anything - shame that MS don't provide some kind of
corroberation service

D.

Bill B

Oct 29, 2001, 1:22:15 AM10/29/01
Being certified has nothing to do with experience. In fact, those with the
most experience don't generally bother with the MS certifications. It's
usually the newcomers that need that extra eye candy for employers. If
you're looking for someone with experience ask for project refrences. Most
experienced programmers will be more than happy to show you what they've
already done. You are right though. I think MS should keep a database
reseme for those certified which would also put some real value in being
certified in the first place. And trust me on this, you can get through
those certification exams and still come out useless. I know that first
hand. Knowing how to do something in theory and having real world
experience are two totally different things. Best of luck with your quest.
Bill

"Who Me" <yeah...@microsoft.com> wrote in message

Gregory W. Smith

Oct 28, 2001, 10:43:10 PM10/28/01
There is an 800 number from Microsoft that I've called in the past, where
you can privide MCPID or SSN to get the person's current status. Ideally,
they'd fax a transcript, but I didn't have to go that far- they had no
record _whatsoever_ of the person I spoke with who claimed to be MCSE
certified.

Fun to be lied to by someone, isn't it? :(

"Bill B" <bi...@bottlegarden.com> wrote in message

«¤meanøldman¤»

Oct 29, 2001, 8:39:08 AM10/29/01
Who cares if he is certified or not. He could be certified and know nothing
or not certified and be a knowledgeable experienced employees. This is not
to say that I would hire someone who lies on an interview; if you have
REASON to think he may be lying that is a whole other issue. Otherwise see
if he knows his stuff and forget the cert.

"Gregory W. Smith" <gsm...@cvn.net> wrote in message

Consultant®

Oct 29, 2001, 10:41:19 AM10/29/01
i've lied in interviews, never about my credentials, just about the people
im interviewing with. "yeah, i'd love to be part of you team" ;-)

"«¤meanøldman¤»" <some...@somewhere.com> wrote in message

Jtyc

Oct 29, 2001, 11:26:16 AM10/29/01
Yep... A CCIE wouldn't have to lie would he?

"Consultant®" <consu...@perhaps.com> wrote in message

Consultant®

Oct 29, 2001, 11:31:15 AM10/29/01
i'm not a ccie, ya f'in tool

"Jtyc" <y...@respondtothegroup.com> wrote in message

«¤meanøldman¤»

Oct 29, 2001, 11:47:43 AM10/29/01
Speaking of certifications.. I am thinking of starting one of my own for
this group. The coveted MCNGP or Mean Certified News Group Poster. There
are some here who will automatically qualify but I need to come up with some
sort of standard to gauge who can be a MCNGP. I think one will have to be
to use Chalk's infamous post in it's pure form at least once. The applicant
will also need to demonstrate a good working knowledge of who's dog was
kicked.

Any comments, suggestions?

"Consultant®" <consu...@perhaps.com> wrote in message

Consultant®

Oct 29, 2001, 11:52:54 AM10/29/01
excellent idea.
ass fucker
can i speak to kerpal?
do i pass? lol

"«¤meanøldman¤»" <some...@somewhere.com> wrote in message

«¤meanøldman¤»

Oct 29, 2001, 1:33:41 PM10/29/01
You don't get it simply for that, you have to use the items in a real post.
You however, have already done this and are pre-approved just like those
annoying credit card letters. You may now add MCNGP to your signature. I
still need to think of other criteria for judging potential candidates and
suggestions are welcome. I am going to crosspost this in the MCSE forum to
more people can get the news.

"Consultant®" <consu...@perhaps.com> wrote in message

Consultant®

Oct 29, 2001, 1:38:22 PM10/29/01
awesome, can i now demand a higher bill rate as a result of this new
esteemed credential? get online by the way....

"«¤meanøldman¤»" <some...@somewhere.com> wrote in message

«¤meanøldman¤»

Oct 29, 2001, 1:44:49 PM10/29/01
Only if you put it on your actual business card. I'm on now.

"Consultant®" <consu...@perhaps.com> wrote in message

Consultant®

Oct 29, 2001, 1:50:05 PM10/29/01
ok, mean, but how much will this cert cost people?

"«¤meanøldman¤»" <some...@somewhere.com> wrote in message

«¤meanøldman¤»

Oct 29, 2001, 1:58:47 PM10/29/01
Unlike M$ I am not greedy. I will give the cert free of charge to anyone
who shows competency. Apart from a good working knowledge of network the
successful candidates must show a significant ability to demonstrate humor
to brighten our otherwise dull and stressful days as well as the ability to
take any joke or insult thrown at them in good humor so long as that is
actually how it meant. This cert does not make us sitting ducks for trolls
and kooks, it just says we do not get easily offended.

"Consultant®" <consu...@perhaps.com> wrote in message

Robert Moir

Oct 29, 2001, 2:18:35 PM10/29/01

> Unlike M$ I am not greedy. I will give the cert free of charge to anyone
> who shows competency. Apart from a good working knowledge of network the
> successful candidates must show a significant ability to demonstrate humor
> to brighten our otherwise dull and stressful days as well as the ability
> take any joke or insult thrown at them in good humor so long as that is
> actually how it meant. This cert does not make us sitting ducks for
trolls
> and kooks, it just says we do not get easily offended.

Well I'm offended. You see, your daughter, she come to my house and she
kicked my dog. And now my dog need operation.

«¤meanøldman¤»

Oct 29, 2001, 2:23:51 PM10/29/01
Good start but it takes hard work and diligence.

_+#--------------#+_

Mean

MCNGP®

"Robert Moir" <mara...@bitey.force9.co.uk> wrote in message

Consultant®

Oct 29, 2001, 2:27:31 PM10/29/01
robert, you forgot the famous chalk response.....
unlike MS, the passing score will not be lowered, so 500/1000 will not cut
it here. we need to keep this cert worthy

Robert Moir

Oct 29, 2001, 2:30:06 PM10/29/01

> robert, you forgot the famous chalk response.....
> unlike MS, the passing score will not be lowered, so 500/1000 will not cut
> it here. we need to keep this cert worthy

And I was so looking forward to amending my .sig to say "MVP, MCNGP" too :-P

«¤meanøldman¤»

Oct 29, 2001, 2:30:23 PM10/29/01
These terms also need to be used in real postings, not just in a thread
discussing this cert.

--
#--------------#
/| |

«¤meanøldman¤»

Oct 29, 2001, 2:32:17 PM10/29/01
You can get there but unlike M$, You don't get this cer with one day of
practice.

--
#--------------#
/| |

"Robert Moir" <mara...@bitey.force9.co.uk> wrote in message

Jtyc

Oct 29, 2001, 2:43:47 PM10/29/01
You expect me to EARN this cert. Bah... I'm just gonna lie and put it in
my qualifications anyway...

Jtyc
MCSE, CCE, CCNA, CCIE, ABC, CD-R, MCT, PBS, CBS, Emperor of the Known
Universe, MCNGP®

"«¤meanøldman¤»" <some...@somewhere.com> wrote in message

Bill B

Oct 29, 2001, 5:43:41 PM10/29/01
Where did this dog kicking thing come from anyhow? I remember it from a
post a while back but it was right out of the blue. I nearly fell off my
seat laughing:) Anyhow my question is what country did you buy these drugs
in and can you send me some?
Bill

Consultant®

Oct 29, 2001, 2:50:04 PM10/29/01
actually, i have a link to a braindump for it

"Jtyc" <y...@respondtothegroup.com> wrote in message

Who Me

Oct 29, 2001, 2:53:57 PM10/29/01
Yeah yeah yeah - sure

My beef is that if someone claims to be certified and is not I don't
care less what their experience and ability is (unless it is
waaayyyyyy extraordinary) - if they are dishonest and claiming
qualifications they don't have - then I don't trust them, and I
definitly do NOT want them.

Embalishing resumes is one thing - outright lies deserves dismissal

On Sun, 28 Oct 2001 22:22:15 -0800, "Bill B" <bi...@bottlegarden.com>

Jtyc

Oct 29, 2001, 2:57:47 PM10/29/01
www.meanbraindumps.com?

"Consultant®" <consu...@perhaps.com> wrote in message

«¤meanøldman¤»

Oct 29, 2001, 3:01:47 PM10/29/01
You try to confuse!

--
#--------------#
/| |

"Bill B" <bi...@bottlegarden.com> wrote in message

Chalk

Oct 29, 2001, 4:12:24 PM10/29/01
Anyone know of any braindumps for MCNGP?
Also I have troytech & transcenders for MCNGP $25 each
Also can someone take MCNGP for me?

Bill B

Oct 29, 2001, 7:18:38 PM10/29/01
Yes and I have the cure for chronic stupidiy at $5 a shot. You only need a
firearms certificate to qualify.
Bill

Bill B

Oct 30, 2001, 5:30:02 AM10/30/01
No I suppose you are right, lying is just not acceptable in this business.
It can cause an infinate amount of damage telling people untruths where they
might take your word to be the gospel and form their solutions around one's
unfounded and misleading statements. And I should know because I was the
one that invented computers in the first place.
Bill

"Who Me" <yeah...@microsoft.com> wrote in message

Bob The Builder

Oct 30, 2001, 2:39:42 AM10/30/01
You could set up your own id on the microsoft site and enter their id and
surname as password (if they havent changed their base password)

I dont know how legal this is.

"Who Me" <yeah...@microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Someone has just infomred me that they have an MCP and have given me a
> card from MS stating that they are an MCP specialiast with an ID
> number.
>
> Is there any way that I can look up the number to establish whether
> the certificate is current.
>
> It would be awkward at the moment to challenge the person to present
> the certificate.
>
> Cheers
> D.

Mike Borduas

Oct 31, 2001, 7:12:13 PM10/31/01
Sit him in front of a machine, and see if he's any good....