RE: newbie here

sarath

Nov 3, 2005, 11:27:04 AM11/3/05
I think you are planning to take MCDST exam right? Before not preparing for
the exam why you looking other stuff here. Just try to find out overview of
the exam from Microsoft website. Exam 271 and 272 both have to pass to get
MCDST. Use MS Press book. In addition, check out all Microsoft KB and
resource kits for XP and 2003. good luck.
--
Hands that help are holier than lips that pray.

"rask" wrote:

> hello im am planning to take mcdst exam. just want to ask how many questions
> will there be and how long? I want to buy the micrososoft book .
>
> I have knowledge in win xp but not much. what would you recommend me to do.
> My boss told me to take exam because he plans to take it to just fot the
> crack.I work in an arcade where computers are more popular now.
>
> kind regards,
> rask

rask

Nov 3, 2005, 1:01:07 PM11/3/05
Thanks

Taylor

Nov 3, 2005, 1:38:15 PM11/3/05
>From what I was told before I took 271 and now that I'm finding out for
studing, the white papers from TechNet are also a great resource. Just
type in the section of the test that you want to study and go from
there. Given, 271 does have some vague section names, but it's one of
the best resources. Also, practice by doing what the MS Press book and
TechNet says to do.

Taylor

rask

Nov 3, 2005, 3:01:03 PM11/3/05
thanks very much taylor

I have tried exam cram and i did not pass but i understood the questions.
i work as technician i have a little bit idea but im a little afraid to get
the exam because maybe im not mature yet for it. i think i need more training
so thats why thanks for all you guys here.

Taylor

Nov 4, 2005, 1:16:31 AM11/4/05
I used Exam Cram 2 and did not pass on my first try either. The MS
Press book helped me the most. EC 2 was a complete waste of my money
and honestly had nothing to do with the problems needed to be solved on
the exam. Remember, this exam is used to measure how well you can
support users and troubleshoot their problems either by phone, over a
computer, or face to face. Just keep that in mind as you're studying
for the exam.

Taylor

raskf...@yahoo.com

Nov 4, 2005, 4:53:10 PM11/4/05
Hi Taylor,
thanks for the tip.

why do you think you did not pass it the first time? Im kind of afraid
because Im going to get it december 3rd week and i think im not ready.
I get 60-70 in measureup and the exam cram test but there are times i
just got it but im not sure its the correct answer.
i think im poor in networking thats is why i need to study it more

Kind regards,
rask

Taylor

Nov 4, 2005, 7:07:37 PM11/4/05
I think that I failed it because I got a little cocky and worried too
much about UDF files (installation) and thought that I knew everything
about the TCP/IP functions and commands. In reality, the exam measured
me as doing extremely well on the installation and poorly on the TCP/IP
section. The MeasureUp tests are a little different and a little
harder than the actual exam because they put this question format in
that makes you choose the process of how to do something - which is
fine -...however you're not going to see questions presented in that
manner on the exam. Honestly, I think that they're trying to make sure
that you understand the process of how to solve a problem. Either way,
if you're getting a 60-70 in the MeasureUp exam, you're doing well.

As far as networking is concerned, try looking into troubleshooting
every kind of error that you could see with ipconfig /all and how you
can also fix connectivity problems over a server. As my best
suggestion, go to TechNet.com and look up Windows XP TCP/IP and learn
it from there if you feel uncomfortable.

Also, don't focus specifically on one subject. I thought that I knew
enough to pass, but I was 23 points shy. I'm taking it again this
coming monday, the 7th.

Taylor

Taylor

raskf...@yahoo.com

Nov 4, 2005, 9:22:10 PM11/4/05
Hi Taylor,

Goodluck!!! all the best. as for me I need to study more. thanks for
all the tips.
I am just afraid that in the exam they will include beta questions. But
I will do my best to study and understand the subjects.

Rask

Gary

Nov 6, 2005, 3:50:26 PM11/6/05
I have to agree with what Taylor posted. Measure Up tests do seem to be a
lot tougher than the actually exam questions. Don't worry so much. I scored
50-60% on the measure up tests but passed the exam.

Regards + good luck

Gary

<raskf...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Taylor

Nov 7, 2005, 2:32:21 AM11/7/05
Hopefully, I'm not violating the NDA, but I didn't have any apparent
Beta Questions on my exam. You could, but I just know that last I took
it, I'm pretty sure didn't. Usually what a Beta Question will consist
of is something blaitent like where you're asked questions about
Troubleshooting a Desktop and all the sudden you get asked a question
about a SQL Server and how to configure it. Clearly a Beta Question.
Even though that's not content from my exam, but it's been explained to
me by a MCT as to how you can identify them.

Either way, Beta Questions do not count towards your score. They are
"Beta" because MS would just like to see how most people would answer
and how prepared the general test takers are to handle questions on
that level.

Taylor