DirectorySearcher.SizeLimit

Paul Stefancyk

Jun 4, 2003, 12:20:01 PM6/4/03
In reading the documentation for this
System.DirectoryServices.DirectorySearcher property, I see
the following Remark:

"The server stops searching after the size limit is
reached and returns the results accumulated up to that
point.

Note If you set SizeLimit to a value that is larger than
the server-determined default of 1000 entries, the server-
determined default is used."

Does this mean that if a search hits 5000 entries, that
I'll only see 1000? Can I bump this limit up on my AD/AM
server in some way?

Thanks,
Paul

Joe Kaplan (MVP - ADSI)

Jun 4, 2003, 12:58:17 PM6/4/03
The documentation is a little weird.

IF you do a paged search by setting the PageSize property > 0 and < max page
size (probably 1000), then the search will retrieve all results and
SizeLimit is ignored.

IF you DO NOT set PageSize and leave it at the default of 0, then the
SizeLimit will govern the maximum number of results returned. There is a
maximum for a non-paged search (usually 1000) and you do not want to change
that (even if you can, which I am not sure) because large non-paged searches
eat up lots of server resources.

I haven't tried any of this with AD/AM, but it should work the same as AD in
this regard.

Joe K.

"Paul Stefancyk" <paul_st...@onesource.com> wrote in message

Carlos Magalhaes

Jun 17, 2003, 7:45:51 AM6/17/03
The way to change the default paged results size is by using a tool
called:ntdsutil.exe, this utility is found on the Windows2000
installation CD-ROM (Support tools
folder).

Please take heed of Joe's warning that returning large pools of
results at one go is VERY resouce intensive and that is what paging
was invented for ;-)

If you have a more than capible server then I would think you could
increase the page size.