Re: Why will a report cut off a memo field set to "can grow"

Dirk Goldgar

Jan 4, 2006, 10:38:30 AM1/4/06
"Gail" <Ga...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:906803F5-0526-4067...@microsoft.com...

It would be better if you would post the details of your question in the
body of the message.

A text box won't be able to grow beyond the limits of the section it's
in, unless the section itself can grow.

Are you grouping on the memo field, by any chance? That will cause it
to be truncated at 255 characters. Or the same thing will happen if you
apply formatting to it.

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
www.datagnostics.com

(please reply to the newsgroup)

Allen Browne

Jan 4, 2006, 10:42:35 AM1/4/06
Could be lots of reasons, such as:
- Anything in the Format property of the text box on the report, or the
Format property of the memo field in the table.

- A query that is asked to GROUP BY a memo field.

- The (Detail?) Section in the report does not have its Can Grow property
set to yes as well.

- A bug in Access, such as:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281153/en-us
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=288877

--
Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia.

Robbin

Feb 10, 2006, 1:57:28 PM2/10/06
Dear Allen,

I've been reading the replies to this question with some interest, as I'm
having the same problem. However, I have no formatting in the table field,
or report field; no union query; the field and the report section are set to
"grow"; and finally, I am using Access 2003 and not exporting to rtf or any
of the other things that are related to the "bug fix" that are thought to
cause this problem. My query is not summarized or "grouped by", but my
report is grouped only on "Committee ID" with a header and a footer and the
Special Notes: field in question, is located in the footer. I've even tried
moving it out of the footer, into the detail section (just to test it), with
no luck. If I have to ungroup the entire report it becomes usless! Have
there been any new ideas on this horizon?
--
Thank you,
Robbin

Allen Browne

Feb 11, 2006, 2:05:28 AM2/11/06
What is the SQL statement for the query that supplies records to this
report?

--
Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia.

"Robbin" <Rob...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Robbin

Feb 13, 2006, 11:59:33 AM2/13/06
Hello Allen,

Thank you so much for taking a look at this. I am really baffled as to what
is happening. Is it possible that because the [Special note] field is in the
"Committee/Office ID" footer of the report that it's trying to preform a
calcuation on it as if it were summarizing a total on it? Here is the SQL
statment for the query feeing the report.

SELECT DISTINCT [All Faculty Table].ID, [Faculty Leaves Table].[Current
A/Y], [All Faculty Table].[Last Name], [All Faculty Table].[First Name],
[Faculty to Committees Table].[Committee/Office ID], [Faculty to Committees
Table].[Term Ending], [Master Committees List Table].[Committee/Office],
[Master Committees List Table].[Committee Type], [Faculty to Committees
Table].Selection, [Faculty to Committees Table].Seat, [Master Committees List
Table].[Number of Seats], [Master Committees List Table].Term, [Master
Committees List Table].Ineligible, [Master Committees List Table].[Nomination
Votes Per Open Seat], [Master Committees List Table].[Nominees Per Open
Seat], [Master Committees List Table].[Final Votes Per Open Seat], [Master
Committees List Table].[Special Note], [Master Committees List
Table].[Committee/Office] AS [Taken Seats], [Faculty Leaves Table].[Leave?],
[Faculty Leaves Table].[Leave Semester], [Faculty Leaves Table].[Leave Year],
[Faculty Leaves Table].[SATA?], [Faculty Leaves Table].[SATA Semester],
[Faculty Leaves Table].[SATA Year], [Faculty Leaves Table].[Condition ID],
[Faculty Leaves Table].Retiring
FROM [Master Committees List Table] INNER JOIN (([All Faculty Table] INNER
JOIN [Faculty Leaves Table] ON [All Faculty Table].ID = [Faculty Leaves
Table].ID) INNER JOIN [Faculty to Committees Table] ON [All Faculty Table].ID
= [Faculty to Committees Table].ID) ON [Master Committees List
Table].[Committee/Office ID] = [Faculty to Committees
Table].[Committee/Office ID]
WHERE ((([Faculty to Committees Table].[Term Ending])>["Terms Ending After
Year"]));

--
Robbin

Allen Browne

Feb 13, 2006, 9:04:21 PM2/13/06
The issue is the 2nd word of the SQL statement.

DISTINCT requires it to de-duplicate the rows.

--
Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia.

"Robbin" <Rob...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Robbin

Feb 14, 2006, 8:56:33 AM2/14/06
Dear Allen,