could not lock file

Chey

May 3, 2006, 6:42:01 PM5/3/06
I have 3 communities using a database. We are all on a network. They can
access the database but when she opens it it reads Could not lock file. What
do I need to do to fix this?

Thanks
Chey

Joseph Meehan

May 3, 2006, 7:00:09 PM5/3/06

It could be that someone else has it open at the same time, or other
possible issues.

What file locking is set up for that data?

Is it a split system with one back end file and a separate copy of a
front end file for each user on their own machine?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Chey

May 3, 2006, 7:23:01 PM5/3/06
Wow that is all greek to me. How do I check the file lock and all that stuff?

Tom Wickerath

May 4, 2006, 12:15:02 AM5/4/06
Hi Chey,

This article might be helpful for you. It explains why all users must have
full privileges for the shared folder (Create, Read, Write & Delete):

Introduction to .ldb Files
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=299373

Also, is your database split, as Joseph indicated? Each user should have
their own copy of the front-end (FE) application on their own hard drive.
Here is an article that you might want to read. It includes a link that
explains the benefits of splitting:

Implementing a Successful Multiuser Access/JET Application
http://www.access.qbuilt.com/html/multiuser_applications.html

Tom Wickerath, Microsoft Access MVP

http://www.access.qbuilt.com/html/expert_contributors.html
http://www.access.qbuilt.com/html/search.html

Joseph Meehan

May 4, 2006, 6:56:17 AM5/4/06
Chey wrote:
> Wow that is all greek to me. How do I check the file lock and all
> that stuff?

From the help file of 2003 version:

When a user edits a record, Microsoft Access can automatically prevent
others from changing that record until the user has finished editing it.
Giving one user exclusive access to a record is called locking.

a.. Under Default record locking, do one of the following:

To prevent locking of records while you edit them, click No locks.

To lock all records in the form or datasheet (and the underlying tables)
while you edit them, click All records.

To lock only the record you're editing, click Edited record.

As I recall different version have slight variations in their record
locking. I believe that earlier version locked pages not records (see last
line of the help file information above). That might include more than one
record.

Zagaaru

Jun 1, 2006, 9:37:27 AM6/1/06
Here is a possible soluation. I noticed when I use rs.refresh, the
could not lock file record does appear, however once I changed it to
rs.requery, this change solved the problem. If it is applicable try it,
if not, then its time for debugging the step by step approach.