no mouse wheel scrolling in multiuser (server based environment)

Philip Leduc

Aug 20, 2004, 12:25:04 PM8/20/04
Hi all,

An enoying feature in access is that when you have a mouse with a scrolling
wheel it kind of "scrolls" to the records.
To disable this scrolling there exists a MS knowledge based article
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;278379
that I applied and seems to work under win 2000 and even under win XP pro on
the condition that the mousewheel.dll file is placed in the
C:\WINNT\system32 resp C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder and the code in the
articel is applied to the form where you want to disable the scrolling.

Now my question:
If my database that is split in data and front-end .mdb will be put on a
server do I need to install a copy of the front end on every client (with
the dll file) or can I place one front-end on the server (accessible by
every client) with the dll installed on the server to get the same effect?
It seems logical that even if I do that I still need to install the dll on
every client? Can anyone confirm ?

Philip

Tom Wickerath

Aug 21, 2004, 2:40:29 AM8/21/04
Hi Philip,

> If my database that is split in data and front-end .mdb will be put on a server

This is not advised! Do so at your own risk. Every client should have a copy of the front-end
database. There's been many posts about this subject in this newsgroup. Tony Toews offers a lot
of information on his web site as well: http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/splitapp/why.htm

"Corruptions are much more likely to happen in Access 2000 and newer in shared MDBs or shared
FEs."

Yes, you should install the dll on every client. You can install the dll into any folder. You
may need to browse for it, because it won't necessarily show up by default in the list of
available references unless you put it into a system folder.

As an alternative, you might want to try out Stephen Lebans MouseWheelOnOff download:
http://www.lebans.com/mousewheelonoff.htm
I have not tried it out myself, but plenty of frequent visitors to this newsgroup have used it
and commented positively about it. His method does not require a dll file.

Tom

"Philip Leduc" <ph.l...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Stephen Lebans

Aug 21, 2004, 7:42:23 PM8/21/04
Hi Tom,
the MouseWHeelHook solution on my site does use a DLL but it is a
standard Windows DLL written in C++. It is not an ActiveX object so no
registration is required. Just copy it into the same folder as your MDB
or the System folder.

--

HTH
Stephen Lebans

"Tom Wickerath" <AOS168Remove...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Tom Wickerath

Aug 22, 2004, 12:06:50 AM8/22/04
Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the clarification on the DLL issue.

Tom

"Stephen Lebans" <ForEmailGotoMy.WebSit...@linvalid.com> wrote in message