Microsoft support specific to advanced MS Access issues

alexhatzisavas

Aug 7, 2006, 12:13:03 PM8/7/06

Hi all.

I've had an issue with a failure of the CurrentProject.Connection property
on my PC.

After trying a lot of remedial measures (check ADO & OLE references,
reinstall Access, reinstall Office, re-execute Windows XP SP2, install MDAC
2.7) and failing, i'm thinking whether there's some way to get support from
Microsoft on this issue.

Is there some way to get through to Microsoft and get some support on a
relatively advanced MS Access VBA issue?

Many thanks,
Alex

sparker

Aug 7, 2006, 2:00:01 PM8/7/06
Alex,

there are a lot of helpful people that answer questions in this forum.

Questions that range from easy all the way to advanced.

My question would be, what exactly is the problem you are having with

"CurrentProject.Connection"?

You might get surprised by one of the people that read through these posts
for fun!

Just a thought from a curious developer that likes to help when he can!
--
~ SPARKER ~

Klatuu

Aug 7, 2006, 2:00:10 PM8/7/06
Be sure you have plenty of food and water close to your computer.
Use a chordless phone in case you need a bathroom trip.
Make sure your calendar is clear for the next few days.
Be sure there is plenty of room on your credit card.
Give them a call.

For an advanced issue, you will have to talk to at least 3 people before you
get to anyone who even understands what you are asking.

Try not to go bonkers and start screeming when they ask "Why do you want to
do that?"

alexhatzisavas

Aug 7, 2006, 2:06:47 PM8/7/06

That's what i thought really :-)

I guess all this also involves incomprehensible English, right?

It's getting predictable, isn't it?

Oh never mind, the users will test the applications :-)

Klatuu

Aug 7, 2006, 3:02:12 PM8/7/06
Now that is funny.
My criteria is - If it compiles without errors, it is ready to ship!

"sparker" wrote:

> I believe I am detecting a little sarcasm as if you guys think that there is
> some other way to test the applications! :)
>
> --
> ~ SPARKER ~

> "Klatuu" wrote:
>
> > Oh never mind, the users will test the applications :-)
> >

> > Now you are thinking like Microsoft! :)

Klatuu

Aug 7, 2006, 3:02:14 PM8/7/06
Oh never mind, the users will test the applications :-)

Now you are thinking like Microsoft! :)

sparker

alexhatzisavas

Aug 7, 2006, 3:02:29 PM8/7/06

Thanks Sparker for your willingness to help.
I'm afraid that i've posted this one to numerous groups (including this
one), and though i got valid and meaningful suggestions, i was unable to fix
the problem.

Albert D. Kallal

Aug 7, 2006, 3:53:53 PM8/7/06

> I've had an issue with a failure of the CurrentProject.Connection property
> on my PC.

Failure is not much to go on here. Lets hope this is not a general approach
to your problem solving

> After trying a lot of remedial measures (check ADO & OLE references,
> reinstall Access, reinstall Office, re-execute Windows XP SP2, install
> MDAC
> 2.7) and failing

I assume the above extreme mesaures were ONLY attempted after much testing
and resowecke. Re-installing ms-access and re-instaling office sounds rather
extreame to me. AGain, this don't sound like a very smart approch to sovling
a problem (I mean, like..hey did you try your code on antoher machine...and
it don't work..then spending 3 minutes to test on antoher box makes a
ZILLION times more sense then going on a huge re-install binge).

So, does this probem exist on other mahcines....and if so, then why did you
waste all that time re-isntlaling?

>, i'm thinking whether there's some way to get support from
> Microsoft on this issue.

Well, I been answering queestings in this newsgroup for seveal years no. (I
not affilbed with micosfot, and simply genrealry give my tiem here like most
poeple). However, in 99.9% of the cases, it not a bug a person is expsicng,
but somting is being done wrong, or overlooked in how the proudct is being
used.

> Is there some way to get through to Microsoft and get some support on a
> relatively advanced MS Access VBA issue?

Hum, you looking for coding help? You might be able call Ford up on a issue
of some type of product problem, but, you can't expect Ford to explain to
you on how to use a truck to deliver pizza.

You may very well have found a bug in ms-access, but on the other hand, you
may very well simply have some code that is incorrect. One is a product
problem, and the other is a issue of how YOU are using the product.

You might want to expand on this problem. And, this newsgroup is quite
quiet. I would suggest trying this question in the main access newsgroup

Microsoft.public.access

you will find that the technical expertise from volunteers around the world
in these newsgroups is FAR BETTER when it comes to coding and problems that
you created with ms-access.

--
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

sparker

Aug 7, 2006, 4:14:02 PM8/7/06
I think if it does not compile because of errors that just means it needs to
be used a little bit and the errors will go away in time.

alexhatzisavas

Aug 7, 2006, 4:31:02 PM8/7/06

You on drugs?
You urgently need a spellchecker.
And get a life.

Sreedhar

Aug 7, 2006, 11:43:02 PM8/7/06

You might have enjoyed the fun, but remember, your problem is not solved
with sarcasm. If you have a problem that you can't handle, share it with this
newsgroup, and often you get the very best answers.

Do you want perfect English or perfect Solution ?

I'm a newbie and I thoroughly enjoy reading this NG. I get lots of tips and
advice.
Saying "Get a life" to someone willing to HELP you is of no use, to say the
least.
--
Sreedhar

alexhatzisavas

Aug 8, 2006, 5:16:11 AM8/8/06

(a) As i already said, i have already shared this problem with this group
(as well as with numerous others), but unfortunately i wasn't able to solve
the issue.
So i'm simply bypassing it by using Remote Desktop when i need to use the
specific ADO functionality.

(b) Nevertheless, you seem to have double standards on sarcasm.

onedaywhen

Aug 8, 2006, 6:21:31 AM8/8/06

Albert D. Kallal wrote:
> you will find that the technical expertise from volunteers around the world
> in these newsgroups is FAR BETTER when it comes to coding and problems that
> you created with ms-access.

Agreed but...

> You may very well have found a bug in ms-access, but on the other hand, you
> may very well simply have some code that is incorrect.

...what's the implication here? "Hello, yes this is Microsoft...You say
you've found a bug in ms-access?! I'll put you straight through to the
Access team..."

Jaime

sparker

Aug 8, 2006, 8:58:03 AM8/8/06
I am so confused! Mommy Make it stop! --
~ SPARKER ~

"onedaywhen" wrote:

> Albert D. Kallal wrote:
> > you will find that the technical expertise from volunteers around the world
> > in these newsgroups is FAR BETTER when it comes to coding and problems that
> > you created with ms-access.
>
> Agreed but...
>
> > You may very well have found a bug in ms-access, but on the other hand, you
> > may very well simply have some code that is incorrect.
>

> ....what's the implication here? "Hello, yes this is Microsoft...You say

alexhatzisavas

Aug 8, 2006, 11:50:01 AM8/8/06

Ok, here's the solution -or, in any case, what worked on my pc- for this
mysterious bug with CurrentProject.Connection...

Here's the saviour-resource :-)...

http://msauer.mvps.org/images/error.pdf

Steps (1) & (2) are useful for checking MDAC versions and if there are any
missing files there, but the 'beef' comes with (3) & (4).

For (3), use WinZip to extract the files of the MDAC that corresponds to
your version of Windows (e.g. MDAC 2.8 SP1) to a temporary folder.

For (4), again use WinZip to extract the files of "mdacxpak" in another
folder.

Then go to folder C:\Windows\inf, find "mdac" (setup information file),
right-click on it and select install as the instructions specify.

During installation, you will probably need to use the Search utility of
Windows to locate various DLLs (i certainly had to to locate 4-5 DLLs in
various folders).

In my case the problem was solved once the pc was rebooted.

Albert D. Kallal

Aug 8, 2006, 3:07:59 PM8/8/06
> You urgently need a spellchecker.

My apolgies. That was typed on a notebook..and send was bumped....

Here it is as re-post...

> I've had an issue with a failure of the CurrentProject.Connection property
> on my PC.

Failure is not much to go on here. Lets hope this is not a general approach
to your problem solving

> After trying a lot of remedial measures (check ADO & OLE references,
> reinstall Access, reinstall Office, re-execute Windows XP SP2, install
> MDAC
> 2.7) and failing

I assume the above extreme measures were ONLY attempted after much testing
and research. Re-installing ms-access and re-installing office sounds rather
extreme to me. Again, this don't sound like a very smart approach to solving
a problem (I mean, like..hey did you try your code on another machine...and
it don't work..then spending 3 minutes to test on another box makes a

ZILLION times more sense then going on a huge re-install binge).

So, does this problem exist on other machines....and if so, then why did you
waste all that time re-installing?

>, i'm thinking whether there's some way to get support from
> Microsoft on this issue.

Well, I been answering questions in this newsgroup for several years now. (I
not affiliated with Microsoft, and simply generally give my time here like
most
people). However, in 99.9% of the cases, it not a bug a person is
experiencing,
but something is being done wrong, or overlooked in how the product is

being
used.

> Is there some way to get through to Microsoft and get some support on a
> relatively advanced MS Access VBA issue?

Hum, you looking for coding help? You might be able call Ford up on a issue
of some type of product problem, but, you can't expect Ford to explain to
you on how to use a truck to deliver pizza.

You may very well have found a bug in ms-access, but on the other hand, you
may very well simply have some code that is incorrect. One is a product
problem, and the other is a issue of how YOU are using the product.

You might want to expand on this problem. And, this newsgroup is quite
quiet. I would suggest trying this question in the main access newsgroup

Microsoft.public.access

you will find that the technical expertise from volunteers around the world

in these newsgroups is FAR BETTER then paid support when it comes

alexhatzisavas

Aug 8, 2006, 3:56:02 PM8/8/06

> Failure is not much to go on here. Lets hope this is not a general approach
> to your problem solving.

I've found two alternatives to solve the issue.
My problem solving skills are strong.
Unlike your manners.

> I assume the above extreme measures were ONLY attempted after much testing
> and research.

Of course.

> Re-installing ms-access and re-installing office sounds rather
> extreme to me.

Not if you've tried everything else and you need a certain functionality.

> Again, this don't sound like a very smart approach to solving
> a problem

I couldn't care less about 'what this sounds like' to you.
If you can help with the problem, post an answer.
If not, don't.
In any case, try not to reveal your dysfunctional upbringing.

> (I mean, like..hey did you try your code on another machine...

I mean, like...hey...of course i tried my code on another machine.
There's not much code to talk about, just the use of a certain property that
creates a runtime error.
But you would have known this if you could read properly.

> ..then spending 3 minutes to test on another box makes a
> ZILLION times more sense then going on a huge re-install binge).

Wow you can spell 'zillion'.

> So, does this problem exist on other machines....and if so, then why did you
> waste all that time re-installing?

No it doesn't exist on other machines.
For some reason MDAC 2.8 SP1 needed to be re-installed on my machine in a
very funky way (see last post for solution).
I didn't waste any time in the process.
Apart from what it takes to answer to your ridiculous post.

> However, in 99.9% of the cases, it not a bug a person is
> experiencing,
> but something is being done wrong, or overlooked in how the product is
> being
> used.

Mr Sage spoke.
In 99% of the cases MVPs are knowledgeable and polite.
You are obviously the dumb exception.

> Hum, you looking for coding help? You might be able call Ford up on a issue
> of some type of product problem, but, you can't expect Ford to explain to
> you on how to use a truck to deliver pizza.

How insightful.

Does your mama cry when you go back home?
Loser.

RoyVidar

Aug 8, 2006, 4:30:04 PM8/8/06
"alexhatzisavas" <alexhat...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message <61D23D9F-731F-42DD...@microsoft.com>:

> Ok, here's the solution -or, in any case, what worked on my pc- for
> this mysterious bug with CurrentProject.Connection...
>
> Here's the saviour-resource :-)...
>
> http://msauer.mvps.org/images/error.pdf
>
> Steps (1) & (2) are useful for checking MDAC versions and if there
> are any missing files there, but the 'beef' comes with (3) & (4).
>
> For (3), use WinZip to extract the files of the MDAC that corresponds
> to your version of Windows (e.g. MDAC 2.8 SP1) to a temporary
> folder.
>
> For (4), again use WinZip to extract the files of "mdacxpak" in
> another folder.
>
> Then go to folder C:\Windows\inf, find "mdac" (setup information
> file), right-click on it and select install as the instructions
> specify.
>
> During installation, you will probably need to use the Search utility
> of Windows to locate various DLLs (i certainly had to to locate 4-5
> DLLs in various folders).
>
> In my case the problem was solved once the pc was rebooted.

Thank you for posting the solution to this.

--
Roy-Vidar

alexhatzisavas

Aug 8, 2006, 7:40:02 PM8/8/06

You're welcome Roy, and thanks again for the insightful suggestions
previously.