Access forms over the web

Adam Lipscombe

Feb 19, 2003, 10:15:36 AM2/19/03
Folks,

Apologies for this ossibly naive question - I am a newbie to Access.

Does Acess have the ability to display a data entry form over the web so
that a user can see it in a web browser?

TIA - Adam

Dan Artuso

Feb 19, 2003, 6:31:50 PM2/19/03
If you're using 2000 or better, you can create
Data Access Pages. Never used them myself
so I don't know how well they work. I do know they
are browser specific (IE only) and that certain components
do have to be present on the PCs. Probably
okay for an intranet environment.

--
HTH
Dan Artuso, MVP

"a problem well stated is a problem half solved"

"Adam Lipscombe" <ad...@cobar.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote in message

J. Paul Schmidt

Feb 19, 2003, 11:57:45 PM2/19/03
You and others can have access to a database hosted on the Web from any
location that has a browser with an Internet connection.

If you want a Web database, typically what would happen is that a database such
as Access (basically just consisting of tables) would be put on the Web. And
actually Access 2000 (or 2002) is generally better than Access 97 for this.

Then Active Server Pages (which include HTML, VBScript, and JavaScript) would
be created acting sort of like the old "queries, forms, and reports" to access
the database - all hosted on a Web Server.

Active Server Pages are similar in many ways to regular HTML pages. But they
are "dynamic" Web pages because the user can read and/or write to information
in the database.

Not all Web hosts will handle Active Server Pages but many do. They usually
have Windows NT (or Windows 2000) running IIS.

Here are a few good ASP sites:
o ASP101 (See the Samples Section) - http://www.asp101.com
o 4GuysFromRolla - http://www.4guysfromrolla.com
o Microsoft VBScript Language Reference -
http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting/default.htm?/scripting/VBScript/doc/vb
scripttoc.htm

Or for a "quick and dirty" generic solution to putting database tables on the
Web that just requires setting up a configuration page for each table and
uploading the database to the Web as long as you have an autonumber field in
each table (and as a more advanced issue you'll probably sometime in the future
want to create login capabilities), perhaps try something like this:
GenericDB by Eli Robillard
http://www.genericdb.com

Best regards,
J. Paul Schmidt - Freelance ASP Web Developer
http://www.Bullschmidt.com - To put live data on the Web...