Turn off warnings in Access 2003 runtime

Diarmuid

May 21, 2004, 10:47:57 AM5/21/04
Hi
The MSDN people have refused to send me the Windows Component Update for
Office XP Developer, or let me download it. So I've moved onto Office 2003
and left the database in Access 2000 format. However, I get the warning
everytime "file may not be safe", then the user must click Open or Cancel.
If they had the full version of Access, I could select Tools/Macro/Security
and set it to low. How can I get around this on machines with only the
runtime version?
Also, some PCs get the warning about unsafe expresssions, even after
I've installed Jet 8. Any ideas on this?
Thanks
Diarmuid

Billy Yao [MSFT]

May 22, 2004, 8:40:47 AM5/22/04
Hi Diarmuid,

Thanks for posting in the group.

I have reviewed your thread in <microsoft.public.access.forms> titled "Turn off warnings in Access 2003
runtime". Currently I am finding somebody who could help you on it. We will post back in the newsgroup as
soon as possible.

If there is anything unclear, please feel free to post in the group and we will follow up there.

Best Regards,

Billy Yao
Microsoft Online Support

Michael Cheng [MSFT]

May 23, 2004, 11:18:44 PM5/23/04
Hi Diarmuid,

It's so frustating that you still could not find that Windows Component
Update :(

Anyway, if you want to eliminate that Security Warning in Access runtime,
you could follwoing the steps below:

0. Open Registry Editor with command "regedit" from Start -> Run
1. Go into
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Access\]
2. Right Click -> New -> Key, type "Security" (no quotation mark included)
3. In newly created Key Security, Right Click -> New -> DWORD Value, type
"Level " (no quotation mark included)
4. double Click new created value Level, type "00000001" (no quotation mark
included) in Value data and keep others what it used to be
5. restart machine and you will see it works:)

However, As I have said "Level" is a DWORD value, you could not make it
inserted by Access Runtime Package, if you want to package it within your
distribute package, you will have to use Third Party Tools, such as
InstallShield to this kind of regiestry modification:)

concerns, don't hesitate to let me know. We are here to be of assistance!

Sincerely yours,

Michael Cheng
Microsoft Online Support
Please reply to newsgroups only, many thanks.
This document contains references to a third party World Wide Web site.
Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft
does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information
found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations
regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or
information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any
software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure
that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from
the Internet.

Michael Cheng [MSFT]

May 25, 2004, 9:44:02 PM5/25/04
Hi Diarmuid,

Have you tried my steps? Could you make it as expected? I wanted to post a
quick note to see if you would like additional assistance or information
regarding this particular issue.

We appreciate your patience and look forward to hearing from you!

Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

Sincerely yours,

Diarmuid

May 26, 2004, 5:01:39 AM5/26/04
Yes, that worked fine. Just got to figure out which automatic process I will
use to make the reg change!
Thanks
Diarmuid

""Michael Cheng [MSFT]"" <v-mi...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Mingqing Cheng [MSFT]

May 26, 2004, 9:32:31 PM5/26/04
Hi Diarmuid,

Thanks for your prompt reply!

Based on my knowledge, when we are packaging Access Runtime with Package
Wizard, there will be an option for registry insert. However, DWORD values
insert is not supported for Package Wizard :(

Fortunately, some third party tools such as InstallShield could provide
such kind of DWORD value insert, with which, I believe, you will be able to
make this insert within your package :) Detailed information for this could
be found at http://www.installshield.com

I am sorry for that inconvenience and hope this helps. Thank you for your

patience and cooperation. If you have any questions or concerns, don't
hesitate to let me know.

Sincerely yours,

Mingqing Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Please reply to newsgroups only, many thanks!