drop down list stopped working

nms

Sep 25, 2007, 8:08:01 PM9/25/07
nI have several databases in Access 2003 that have drop down lists on a form
created either from queries or the table. Just recently they stopped
working. The drop down arrow is there but the list is not. I have tried to
recreate the lists from both queries and the table with no luck. The data
that was already in the table is still there but the end user cannot create a
new entry since there is nothing there. This field is part of a one to many
relationship. The query works fine when it is run. When creating with the
lookup wizard and either attaching it to the table or query, the running it
from the combo box, the data is there but not on the form. Could this be the
result of some of the latest MS Office updates from last week?

Ken Snell (MVP)

Sep 25, 2007, 8:56:21 PM9/25/07
By chance, the field to which the combo box is bound is a text field and has
a Format property setting for the field in the table? If yes, this is a bug
that has been reported by many ACCESS users during past week. MS is aware of
the bug and is working on how to fix it.

In the meantime, the "complete workaround" is to remove the Format
property's value from the field's properties in the table's design view.
Otherwise, concatenating the field's value with an empty string also seems
to "overcome" the problem.

--

Ken Snell
<MS ACCESS MVP>

"nms" <n...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Ken Snell (MVP)

Sep 25, 2007, 8:57:29 PM9/25/07
By chance, the field to which the combo box is bound is a text field and has
a Format property setting for the field in the table? If yes, this is a bug
that has been reported by many ACCESS users during past week. It apparently
is a bug in Office 2003 SP3, which was released by MS about a week ago. MS
is aware of the bug and is working on how to fix it.

In the meantime, the "complete workaround" is to remove the Format
property's value from the field's properties in the table's design view.
Otherwise, concatenating the field's value with an empty string also seems
to "overcome" the problem.

--

Ken Snell
<MS ACCESS MVP>

nms

Sep 25, 2007, 9:20:02 PM9/25/07
Thanks Ken-at least I am not going crazy! The update broke SharePoint as
well. Yes the field is a text box and has a format setting in the table. I
will try you suggestions.

nms

Sep 26, 2007, 3:21:00 PM9/26/07
Ken-do you know where I would go to find out when this problem is fixed by
Microsoft? Is this information posted anywhere? Our SharePoint for creating
sites broke as well with that SP3 update. Thanks.

Ken Snell (MVP)

Sep 26, 2007, 4:15:57 PM9/26/07
I would expect that MS will make some type of announcement, but at this
moment I don't know where it would be made. I anticipate that we'll post
some info in these newsgroups when we find out that MS has released a fix --
might even be a KB article, too.

--

Ken Snell
<MS ACCESS MVP>

"nms" <n...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Linq Adams via AccessMonster.com

Sep 26, 2007, 5:23:02 PM9/26/07
Also reported is that if a table with more than 31 rows is assigned as a
RowSource for a combo box, the app will crash! Allen Browne has a demo of
this on his site at
http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html

This is why, IMHO, you should *never* update to a new service pack until
things have been shaken out a bit!

Answers/posts based on Access 2000

st8employee

Oct 2, 2007, 12:27:01 PM10/2/07
HAS ANYONE OUT THERE HEARD ANYTHING FROM MS YET ABOUT HOW TO FIX THIS? I NEED
HELP QUICK...WE HAVE BEEN HAVING SERIOUS PROBLEMS SINCE THURSDAY (9/27/03)
WHEN OUR AUTOUPDATES INSTALLED OFFICE SP3...

Ken Snell (MVP)

Oct 2, 2007, 3:48:26 PM10/2/07
Please do not shout (all caps is a shorthand way of shouting).

MS has not released information about when the fix will be published.

--

Ken Snell
<MS ACCESS MVP>

"st8employee" <st8em...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Graham

Feb 18, 2008, 11:03:03 AM2/18/08
Hi, My drop down list boxes wont work in Form view either, but I have no
format set in the table design view. One ddlb is simply blank, whilst with
the other, the options can be scrolled through, but not selected.
Any other suggestions/work arounds/fixes ?
Many Thanks

Douglas J. Steele

Feb 18, 2008, 5:04:25 PM2/18/08
Have you tried the hotfix in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945674?