moneymvps.org Blocked?

M M

Feb 2, 2021, 11:54:33 PM2/2/21
to Microsoft Money
I have been a user of the Microsoft Money Sunset for several years and I made the horrible realization that I may not have the install file saved to my hard drive or otherwise backed-up.  So a search turned up the Microsoft Money Fourm

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3c0e9355-d62e-4f66-8d79-ee245f606467/microsoft-money-forum-moving?forum=money

I clicked on the download links and found that they are all broken.  The last post to the forum suggest that I use moneymvps.org.  When I attempt to go to that URL, I find that it is being blocked by my antivirus firewall.

Does anyone have an update on the status of moneymvps.org or know of a reliable source to download the Money Sunset install file for disaster recovery purposes?

Thanks!

Adr...@adrianskinner.co.uk

Feb 3, 2021, 6:35:20 AM2/3/21
to Microsoft Money
The downloads were indeed where you looked and have disappeared. Moneymyps also seems a dead end. I have a copy of the UK install file, which will be of no use to you. I am certain that other forumites in the US will have stored their copy of the install file. Let's hope we hear from one of them!

Dominic Payer

Feb 3, 2021, 6:59:41 AM2/3/21
to Microsoft Money
moneymvps still exists and could be accessed if you unblocked it in your AV.

The Money 2005 QFE downloads - UK, French and International English - can be found at  Microsoft (MS) Money Patches and Fixes (moneymvps.org) but moneymvps never hosted the Sunset downloads.

I have copies of the three QFE installation files and the Sunset Deluxe and Business installation files if anyone wants to host them.

Doris Tomlin

Feb 3, 2021, 9:04:21 AM2/3/21
to M M, Microsoft Money

William Becker

Feb 3, 2021, 10:19:45 AM2/3/21
to Microsoft Money
And don't forget that Microsoft Money Sunset needs a patch, - a replacement of the mnyob99.dll file.  Instructions on how to do that and links to the patched file for both Money Plus Deluxe and Money Plus Home & Business are here:

Be sure to download and save the appropriate mnyob99.dll file in addition to the Money Plus Sunset installation file.

Ameridan (microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com)

Feb 3, 2021, 10:45:33 AM2/3/21
to Microsoft Money
Thank you Bill.  Also, I've just updated all of the links to the Money files on my Welcome page:

Doris Tomlin

Feb 4, 2021, 7:47:49 PM2/4/21
to William Becker, Microsoft Money
I remember editing a .dll file (or perhaps downloading a patched copy) at one point years ago in my use of Microsoft Money Sunset, but the last few times I've moved to new PCs running Windows 8.x or Windows 10, I've been able to install MM using the same old 2010 install file that I've been copying from one machine to the next for years. Even though I didn't patch or downloaded the .dll fix, everything has been working fine. Do you think this could be because I'm not using features in MM that trigger problems? If so, what features might cause problems for me in the future? Could it be that the .dll patch isn't really needed anymore?

I did take your advice and downloaded the patched mnyob99.dll today so that I can keep it with my USMoneyDlxSunset.exe install file in my Program Downloads folder. I also appreciate your link to the instructions for how to find and replace it.

Ameridan (microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com)

Feb 4, 2021, 9:38:08 PM2/4/21
to Microsoft Money
Doris, Good question!

I've added to my article on the subject, based on my findings looking into your question today.
https://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/2012/12/02/windows-8-64-bit-version-compatibility-with-sunset-money/#doubt

There's a possibility it isn't needed, but I don't know if anyone knows for sure, at this point.

Ameridan (microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com)

Feb 4, 2021, 9:44:33 PM2/4/21
to Microsoft Money
Doris, the two circumstances mentioned that the dll patch fixes are crashes: during import of account transactions or when changing a payee of a downloaded transaction.  Perhaps if you'll experiment, you can verify the continued need for the patch.

William Becker

Feb 4, 2021, 9:57:57 PM2/4/21
to Microsoft Money
As Ameridan says, the problem caused by the unpatched dll may well have gone away.  In fact,  Raymond Chen's description of the problem and how he fixed it:

refers to Windows 8 and he says that Windows itself was patched at that time to obviate the need for replacing Money's dll with the patched version.

For me the important thing here is that the original mnyob99.dll that is installed when you install Money Plus is, in fact, defective, but in a very subtle way.
Since a patched version is available, it is just good practice to use the patched version.

Cal Learner

Feb 4, 2021, 11:25:12 PM2/4/21
to Microsoft Money

I think the problem the patch fixes is the problem jumping off to some seemingly random place. Each update to Windows might change what happens if something jumps there. So not using the patch may not crash Money, but the next Windows update might change that.

First Last

Feb 5, 2021, 11:50:54 AM2/5/21
to Microsoft Money
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20121113-00/?p=6103

This remains one of favorite written tech notes: clear, clever. I can sort of hear how he is kind of actually enjoying the find.